Saturday, August 6, 2011

On being Rudy

Rudy came downstairs and told me he was going into town. Would I like him to pick up my shuttle tickets while he is there? Sure, why not. I forked over 30,000 colones. He asked me how much Ruth was charging for my room. "$15 day." "I told her the rate is $25/day and $20/day for friends." "Rudy, you don't tell Ruth shit. She puts up with you, she owns this place, don't try to pull a fast one on me."

He left and a few minutes later handed me a reciept for $50 USD. "Where is my 5,000 colones." "That should be a tip." "You were going anyway, I'm passing by the place in half an hour, don't be a jackass." He forked over the money.

A bit later I headed out to the encomiendo, they told me that I had no package in my name and that I needed to get a tracker number. I asked them to call Down to Earth Coffee, but they told me it was closed. Try coming back at four, it might be on the next bus.

I ran into Rudy again and he insisted that I see his lady who cuts the hairs. I sat down and explained that my hair had not been cut in two months. Out came the clippers. In three seconds the left side of my head had a buzz cut. Nothing to do now but buzz it all around the sides and back. But I didn't want one of those Tico bullet head cuts with long moussed hair on top and near shaved on the sides. In the end it could have been worse. I gave her 2,000 colones and headed out.

I walked to the far end of town and took a stroll in the jungle in the only undeveloped lot in town. On the way back I stopped at Down to Earth, which was open. A friendly gringo woman greeted me. I explained my plight, she called Matias who became a bit annoyed, "Those people are completely worthless. My phone is about to die, but I am almost at the finca. I'll call you back." The woman asked if I could wait five minutes and I said with an impish smirk "I am a very busy man with many important engagements." "Sit down, have a coffee and some ice cream, Mr. Busy." So I had both and we chatted. Matias called back, the packages were at the encomienda, he gave the tracking number. The youth who served up the snacks was dispatched with me. "Thanks, I'm sure he'll shake the goods out of them!" The lad was slight and mild mannered. They both gave me a grin. The kid asked if I had a car. "Bud, it's two blocks from here."

We walked over and he turned over the tracking number. Seems the only packages that had not been picked up were marked as two chairs for a "James" I had been asking for two chairs for a "Jim". Whew, friggin' bananas country.

I carried the cartons out front, hailed a cab and took them back to the aparthotel for a fare of ochocientos cincuenta I gave the guy a mill and sent him on his way.

No comments:

Post a Comment