Sunday, July 31, 2011

Inspections

My real estate agent recommended the guy who installed the solar power system for inspection of same on the house I have under contract.

I was a bit reluctant to have someone grade his own paper, so to speak, but my primary concern is an evaluation of the batteries, which are four years old. At a replacement cost of four thousand dollars this is not an incidental expense. I posted a request for suggestions in a local yahoo group for residents and was immediately told that the best guy for the job is the guy recommended by my real estate agent.

The man was in town yesterday, but has returned to David. I just got an email from him informing me that the cost of inspection is $150. For that he must travel four hours from David to Almirante, catch a five dollar water taxi to Isla Colon and a $10 water taxi to the house. The same time and expenses are associated with the return trip.

I should be getting the contract from my attorney in Panama City tomorrow along with reviews and all associated documents. Her fees are $2,000.

The seller of the corporations that hold the houses have to pay a 5% transfer fee on the corporation, irrespective of the actual gain or loss on the property in question.

It's different down here.

No comments:

Post a Comment