Saturday, July 16, 2011

Fuck My Life

It was a beautiful day, cool and overcast. I sat on the back deck and finished off three months of coding.

At 1:00 I called my landlord and asked him to bring me over a key so I could rekey the locks to my apartment as they hadn't been changed since my very disturbed visitor left.

At 6:50 I called my friend Stephen and we agreed to meet for dinner at Kun Ja's the best Chinese restaurant in town. We ate and shot the shit until about 8:30 when I headed back home. It was time to back up all of my work.

I unlocked the door and shit! The computer I bought last week and my development computer were missing. No sign of forced entry. I called my landlord, he told me that there were only three sets of keys, mine, the set Becca had, and his set, he had changed the locks just before I moved in. When my neighbor cleaned the place during my medical treatments my landlord came over, unlocked the place and locked it up when he was done.

I grabbed my friend Carlos and headed off to the police station, who referred me to the office of investigation. They came over to the apartment and agreed there had been no forced entry. The doors had not been kicked in and there are bars over all the windows.

God Damn it. That's about three months worth of coding down the drain, all the backups were to another partition on the same computer.

Now I have to buy another computer and spend a month configuring it and another three months reproducing my code. It was bad enough doing it the first time, it will be very frustrating repeating my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment