Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Leticia, Amazonia, Colombia - Day 3

At 10:00 Carlos knocked on my door. I walked down the street and saw Richard, Carlos went through his spiel with Richard, but he only wanted a one day tour. He told me about the Hotel Divino Nino and I decided to change hotels. As I was checking out the guard looked at Carlos and then at me and told me that tours are very, very dangerous. Carlos carried my boat bag and we walked to the other Hotel. Three women sat behind the counter. I was checked in within 2 minutes. My room is at the top of the stairs, right in front of reception with a shuttered paneless window that opened on the side of the room facing the reception area at a slight diagonal. The hole for the upper barrel bolt was a slot, rendering that half of the locking mechanism worthless. I shut the shutters and engaged the lower bolt, dropped of my stuff and we headed out.

As we passed on restaurant Richard told me authoritatively that was the best restaurant in town. “What, Lonely Planet?” Lonely Planet is the largest publisher of travel books but they are not always correct, sometimes I disagree with their opinions and have found their facts demonstrably incorrect, like the length of trails, off by a factor of two. I then opined that the restaurant was not that great, they overcook the fish and that you can get a better meal for less from the street vendors. He stopped at a restaurant named after the department of Antioquia with a picture of El Piedre Guatape, the big rock I had climbed last week. I wanted breakfast so I continued down the street had a couple of fried eggs and a large roll with a cup of coffee for a couple of bucks.

Lacking anything better to do we went Santa Rosa. As I had discovered Richard like to bitch about everything. “What’s wrong with these people? Why do they fucking live here? “ “Hey dickhead, they were born here, probably never been out of here. You fucking moved to El Paso, that was your choice, what does that say about you? And as for being here, you paid good money and spent time to get here, they didn’t make the effort.” That shut him up for a minute but then he found another reason to deprecate another person. He whined about something else and I said “With you every silver lining has a cloud, lighten up.”

Didn't I already post the story about the guy at immigration?

We returned on a large comfortable boat and inquired with the captain, if you can call the guy at the outboard on an oversized canoe a captain, how much it would cost to go to Isla Monik (Monkey Island). We offered 150,000 pesos for the day. He refused then I guess he thought about the money, he was only making 6,000 for this trip and agreed to meet us the next day at ocho medio, (8 1/2) in the morning.

The electricity went out all over town, so just grabbed some grilled chicken on the street corner and went to the internet cafe, which was running off a small generator. When the electricity came on I went back to hotel,turned on my air and cropped the days photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment