Monday, May 24, 2010

Heed your own advice

After my 23 hour bus ride through the Andes I finally arrived in Cusco. I called the number my coach surfing host had provided to let him know that I had arrived and then directed a taxi to take me to the specified meet location. Our journey was but ten minutes and he was there to greet me, took my bags, shook my hand warmly like we were lifelong friends and then we walked a couple of hundred meters to an alley of sorts and ascended a long flight of stairs. I was wearing my pack and was now at an altitude of 3,400 meters having just spent a while at no more than a couple of hundred meters above sea level. Our pace was governed by my host, but it was obvious that after climbing the long steep flight of stairs that sitting down would be welcome even if I had just spent the last 23 hours on my ass.

There was little food served on the bus and I asked Ronnie if he wanted to go out to eat. He indicated that he wasn't hungry but he would take me to a good restaurant that served chicken. We sat at a table that had some crema splattered on it and I looked around the place suspiciously. Spotting what was obviously the bathroom I told Ronnie that I need to wash my hands before I ate. This announcement was met with the statement that the bathroom might not be too clean.

The toilet sat on a concrete floor, the water in the bowl was brown soup and there was no sink but a spigot stuck out of the wall. There was no soap available.

Ok, I have to catch my bus, but thats how I got the food poisoning that made me use the Cusco public bathrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment