Saturday, September 5, 2009

Costa Rican Infrastructure - Electricity

The electricity went out three times today.
8:30 – 8:32
8:35 – 9:30
19:00 – 19:01

Yesterday it went out 8:00 – 8:02

Tuesday it was out from 8:00 until 12:00

I work on my laptop, with all my code and my unit test databases on the laptop so I don’t need the internet to get work done. I have battery power for a couple of hours. The phone works when the electricity is out, so with a small UPS I could keep connected, by powering up the ADSL modem.

It was interesting watching the guys reconnect the sections, there is a bar that connects the bottom of some pineapple shaped units on two sides of a pole. Connecting the bar in the slot completes the circuit, just like those old time frankenstein electrical switches (like the main for my house). Some tico with a 40′ fiberglass pole tries to get the end of the pole into a little whole in the bar and then push it up to complete the switch. It reminds me of those tools the nuns used on the upper louvered windows. It’s actually a whole lot safer than riding up there on a bucket of a service crane, and trust me, there are not a lot of those down here.
Wiring

Don’t expect to find grounded outlets. If you find one, it probably isn’t grounded anyway.

Shower heads with 220 volt 60 amp service, with the wire connected by electrical tape are common. That kind of power could support my entire frigging house with 12 tons of cooling, 2 refrigerators, a freezer, a washer and a dryer all running at the same time. It’s highly efficient, hot water on demand. Most of the energy used in hot water heaters is wasted keeping the tank warm.

The apartment I rented in La Fortuna had a non waterproof wall fixture, the kind you would buy at a Loews for $29 mounted on the wall of the shower with the top half half and inch from the wall at the height of the shower head.

No comments:

Post a Comment