Thursday, September 3, 2009

Buy Bike

I hitch hiked up to Play Negra (Black Beach) and bought a bike at the Ferreteria (No Jan, that is not a Luby’s that sells smelly little weasels). Nobody that worked there spoke english, making the transaction interesting. I believe the brand name translates to “Cheap Chinese Piece of Shit”. The tires were underinflated and the rear wheel was not positioned properly, nor was the rear mud flap. I rode to Sonya’s and got the CD (Karl I will upload today). Then I rode it home and inflated the tires. Saskia dug up some wrenches and we aligned things as well as could be accomplished.

I rode it last night to the super and bought some laundry detergent. This morning I used the washing machine, the discharge hose was not attached on the bottom so it emptied all the water onto my bathroom floor, so I guess I will mop today. Then it wouldn’t fill up again with water because the water pressure is god awful, but it is intermittent. If the load ever finishes I will put it out on the clothesline and see if it is possible to air dry clothes in this humidity.

Usually as dawn approaches I am awakened by a gradual increase in bird sounds. Today I thought a howler monkey had jumped through my open window and was howling at me from the foot of the bed. The best birding is from 5:00 to 7:00 the activity in my back yard is amazing. I have discovered that I can use Saskia’s postal box and actually get something delivered. There are no addresses or street names. I describe myself as “the second drive past the chameleon on the hill.” Nobody has a doubt where that is.

The full moon is on Friday, so perhaps I will bop up to Tortuguero, on the northern Caribbean this weekend. It’s a long boat ride down a canal to a big park. The sea turtles should be hatching in force.

Cheers, that concludes this morning’s post from the jungle.

No comments:

Post a Comment