Friday, June 21, 2013

More Same Shit, Different Day

Tuesday

Rain.  More rain. The sun finally broke through around.  "I'm heading out.  Wanna go? Ella was content with the tranquility of the deck and her iPad.  I was restless.  Off to town.

I really need to do something about this skiff before it sinks. The battery gets jostled around.  They really need to be kept level to keep the plates covered in electrolyte.   I walked a couple of miles trying to catch a cab to no avail.  I walked back and finally one stopped for me and I headed eout to a wood shop out of town.

Stefan, our resident master cabinet maker was ripping boards on a table saw. "Hey, you got five minutes to build something for me?"  "No, I am way behind.  Feel free to use the shop."  "Alright, I just need two five foot one by fours and two one foot one by fours for my boat." He grabbed a piece of tobacco wood planed it and ripped it.  That took about a minute.  So much for not helping.  I cut the pieces to length. "How much for the wood?" "Buy me a beer sometime."

Off to the hardware store.  I need 8 stainless steel screws.  I placed the wood around the battery case on the counter.  After stepping outside for a cigarette I returned to find an employee in the back room with a drill, drilling holes and assembling my contrivance.  A short while later I asked the owner what I owed him for the screws.  He just laughed.  I headed out and placed the thing on my boat.

After killing a little time in town I headed home.  There was Ella on the dock.  She finally got bored of  Facebooking and decided to catch fish.  "Hop aboard."  "Where are we going?" "To see a friend." "But I am not wearing a bra!"  "Let me see.  Perfect. Hop aboard."

Off we went.  One hectare of landscape island.  A house with no walls, no working toilet (shit in the mangroves) and an outdoor shower.  Interesting eh?

Ella picked a few pineapples and we headed home.

Thursday

Bored.  Off to town.  A tall blonde girl was talking into her iPad in some Nordic language. When she was done, Mel asked her in Norwegian what city she was from.  I thought this was pretty funny after Mel told me that the girl had been saying that she could say anything she wanted and no one would know what she was saying.   I turned around and said to my Belgian friend, "Chris, you speak Swedish, do you understand Norwegian?"  "Ja."  A crimson tide.

OK.  Teasing was over.

"I am going to make a run to my house.  C'mon girls."  Mel got on the boat.  I asked the Norwegian girl.  She looked at me and then and got on the boat. "Why not, I got on a bus with some people I didn't know and ended up in Panama.  I didn't even know where we were going."  A few miles later introductions were made.  

Two tanks of propane, thirty pounds of dog food.  One hundred steps.  No that was Friday.  They all run together. 

Speaking of Friday, I got a new computer.  Windows 8 sucks the ass of Satan.

Mel and Cecila
Then twelve of us sailed on a big boat to Starfish Beach, had a bonfire and cooked chicken, fish, steaks and made s'mores.  A German, a Thai, a Norwegian, a Belgian, a Spaniard, two from England, some Canadians, strangely no Argentinians.


No comments:

Post a Comment