Saturday, February 4, 2012

Jaime

Jaime is the guy who was supposed to drive me to David.  He called and came to visit two days ago.

Turns out he used to be a house builder.  He has an unfinished house on Carenero (ran out of cash) wanted to know if I would pay to finish it of then we could be equal partners in a bar there.   I told him there was no way we could compete with the Cosmic Crab as it is very famous and right over the water, why would somebody want to go drink on a porch a hundred feet from the water when you could sit right on the water, facing west and watch the sunset.   Then he wanted to finish off the upstairs, put in four rooms and rent them out for $50.  Jaime at Cosmic Crab for that money you can have a private cabin right over the water.  He looked very disappointed.  This also seems like an extraordinary request on a first meeting.

I told him about my development at Loma Partida.   I wanted simple cabinas to have composting toilets and a water tank.  No point in running PVC hundreds of feet so somebody can use 2 1/2 gallons to wash down a quart of pee. I think I'll add a urinal for guys too shy to piss outside.

I talked about constructing cabins out of bamboo.  Now things got interesting.   He told me to split it lengthwise through one side, not in two, soak it in water for a week, pound it flat,  treat it with penta green for permanent insect resistance and protect with 660 marine varnish for a beautiful board.   He is going to show me a house he built that way.   Not only would that fill in all the gaps but it would be awesome looking, hell, you'd even use less bamboo, not that bamboo is expensive.   Did you know you have to cut it on a full moon?

I don't know why he is so hung up on septic systems.   You use water, you have to run the water and when you are done, you have nothing.  

If that project wasn't big enough I've been offered the use of a water concession to build a bar and restaurant in town.   The guy loved my concept of a BBQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment