Thursday, February 9, 2012

Almost Back Home

The police have agreed to release some demonstrators held in jail in exchange for the protestors unblocking the roads.  Driving around David I see scorched earth, scorched asphalt on the Pan American Highway.  This isn't over yet.  I don't believe the mining operation situation has been resolved.  Never the less it is possible to drive back to Bocas and there is gas when I get there.

Had my medical treatment not been so urgent for the cost I could have flown to Cuba, spent a luxurious three months, flown back into Tocumen where one gets a free month of health insurance for no cost.   Not really an option anyway as somebody absconded with my driver's license and passport.   What a pain in the ass.  It will take me about two months to get a replacement driver's license which I can then use to apply for a replacement passport.   In the mean time I can't leave this country or travel by plane within it.  I am using a PADI dive card as my ID as it is the only thing I have with my name and picture on it.

Most of the time I can flex my left foot almost an inch and with concentration I can walk up and down stairs and ramps and step up and down off curbs.  This is substantial improvement after 7 days of intense medication and three days of out of hospital on expensive drugs.   Man I hope I fully recover and that this doesn't take a year.

I am supposed to be off to Volcan today to see what a house looks like that is constructed out of bamboo boards.   A slit is made on one side of the bamboo, lengthwise, it is soaked for a week in water and then flattened out, treated with Penta Green, an insecticide and varnished.   If this works I can have a substantial reduction in one of the most expensive components of these cabins.  I am going to take this computer in today, have them take it apart and use solvent on every part; it is not a big fan of cranberry juice.  God I hope this year gets better in a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment