Monday, November 7, 2011

Preparing for San Jose

I had planned to bus it to San Jose, Costa Rica to pick up my son, but that would have meant one less day with Margot, so I decided to fly.  Nature Air advertises flights from $111, no big deal, I thought they were a lot more.   "Hey beautiful, instead of going back to Puerto Viejo, will come to San Jose with me?"   "Are you sure I won't get in the way between you and your son?"  No, he is going to be in the dentist's office for eight hours a day and come home heavily medicated, not of his making this time. "Sure, that we can spend more time together."  

I made reservations on line and asked for her passport so I could enter some information.   A short while later a one way trip for two for a one hour flight was booked, costing more than the round trip flight for my son from Dallas to San Jose.  

A rainy morning, an afternoon in town, forging flight tickets, I'll explain later, promise.

Brandy, my room-mate and Nick her guest came along for the ride. "If we work around your schedule can we get a ride to town with you and back?"   Nick is a man of few words, a seasonal forest firefighter.   Nick is best explained by his answer to Margot's hypothetical question.  If you were stranded on an island, never able to get off for the rest of your life, what five people dead or alive would you choose to have with you?

"I don't know five people.   I'd take Jim, because he has a boat and Abraham Lincoln."

Enough said on that."

One empty propane tank to be swapped, a box of empty rum bottles, Jesus guys, and a bag of trash to be disposed of in town an enormous tupperware container filled with the food scraps from last nights vegan meal were carried down to the dock, the scraps giving to the fish.  

Back in town I checked with my boat guy, yes he could repaint my boat while I was gone.  This also leaves me with a way to keep her under covers so she doesn't sink in the rain.   Brandy asked, "How much time do you need?" A couple of hours.  She said she'd call me at three, it was two and she didn't have much that she needed to do.   Umm, my schedule, remember. Forge ticket, check.  Bank money, check.

Walking back I was hailed by Worth a local legend.   I could go on about Worth for hours a fun loving, boat repairing, fishing, snake catching, story telling guy who thinks all things should be consumed in massive excess.  He and his running mate, Mike were in the usuals spot, sitting on the small deck of an upscale hotel, drinking heavily and smoking on deck sitting next to a no smoking sign.  I made introductions and Margot and I each got a beer.  The stories started to flow out of Worth and Mike at speed which made Margot grin.  Damn, some more characters.   The sunken boat.  Another sunken boat.   A ten day cocaine binge in the the slums of Panama City where gringos don't tread.  A drinken binge that ended with Worth passed on with his hair stuck in some cement that had dried with vultures perched by looking at him.   Another with him laying on the floor of his kitchen in pools of black blood from his stomach lining.   Holding his herniated guts in with duct tape and getting sewn up by a dancing surgeon who banged his head on the surgery room light.   Scores more.   Couldn't stop laughing.

I was informed that my other room-mate Becky had moved out living in town with three young musicians that refer to this twenty nine year old as "the old woman", this I've heard from Becky, the rest is too far out to be believed.

Packing.  "I can't find my passport.  Last time I saw it was next to your computer when you were making reservations."  It went missing for at least an hour and Margot remained remarkably calm.  Finally I found it on my dresser, in my passport waterproof holder.   I believe I was showing the case to Margot and just casually flung it on my dresser after demonstrating how it is used, with her passport inside.  I doubt she'll ever let me touch her passport again.  Exploded shampoo bottle, everything needs to be washed at midnight and we have to get up at six.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment