Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Feeling Rather Under the Weather


At 4:30 I awoke sweating and terribly dehydrated. I walked out of my cabin and in the absolute darkness attempted to walk the wet rail-less elevated walkways, failing miserably. Twice I fell off and rolled down the hill. I walked back up and crawled on the walkway with my right hand clasped over the edge to the house. Arriving at the house I fumbled with the monkey proof latch and made my way into the kitchen. It was profoundly dark. I felt my way over to the refrigerator and felt for the monkey proof hasp, reaching inside I couldn't find anything but food. I couldn't find the sink. I went outside and looked for the dogs water bowl, felt in and it was empty.

Finally the dogs entered the house and made enough noise to wake Michelle who came down turned on the light and gave me a couple of liters of water. Ok, I'm not trying to make my way back to the cabin, I'll just hang out in the hammock. I lay there, chilled from the cool air that rolls down off the mountain across the small expanse of sea between here and the mainland.

Finally, dawn broke and people started appearing. Time to feed my dog, who was tied up on the boat dock to prevent him from attacking the monkey again. Down to the dock, feeling ill. Back up 187 steps I was sweating profusely and stumbling. Michelle saw me and cried out for someone to come help me down the stairs into the house and placed me back in the hammock. I was shaking and so weak I couldn't lift my arms. She plied me with juices and spoon feed me peanut butter then wiped me down with cool wet rags. Another volunteer took over the job. More juice, more juice.

Michelle came out with a blood pressure tester and her diabetic equipment. She took my blood pressure with a very concerned look on her face and then took my blood sugar readings and ran out of the room. Time passed, I don't know how much. “Jim, we have to get you to a hospital can you walk?” “Not yet.” My blood sugar was so low it wouldn't even register on the device. More juice. About an hour later I was instructed to go to Casa Verde to meet the floating doctors who would take me to a hospital with no expectation that I would be returning soon. Karl would drive the boat and come back but he couldn't find the place so I was provided with Humberto, an employee of De La Luna and Dan, a volunteer. Heavily laden we started off to town.

First stop, gas up. This took forever as the gas was siphoned into five gallon buckets and then siphoned into the boat. Dan bought me five candy bars. I ate three right away. We proceeded slowly in some very rough seas through shitty weather. Droning on we made it back to town a couple of hours later. No way to dock at Casa Verde, the seas were too rough, so we docked at the hardware store and walked to Casa Verde. I found nothing but regulars. Where was this doctor?

Dan and Karl and I took a taxi to the hospital. After a quick admission I was checked and my glucose levels were at 182 not bad after having had five candy bars in an hour. I could walk now.

Nobody could get a hold of Michelle, she had turned her phone off.

Off to Casa Verde to look for the doctors again, I walked the length of town. It turns out that the whole town knew of my plight, as Michelle had considerately posted it on Facebook. that people had been gathered for the big event, some out of morbid curiosity and some with honey and sugar drinks. But the doctors had gone.

I walked the streets of Bocas, barefoot in muddy and bloody clothes in the rain.

I bought yet another cell phone, my last one destroyed in a quick rain. Now to make some phone calls.

Back to hospital to look for Dan, put I couldn't find the right door, back to town to find Karl to get Dan. Karl left and Dan showed up.

Karl got an email from Michelle. Could I pick up a generator she was buying? Dan and I went off to the Barracuda to look for Ellene, who's husband Clay owned the generator. Clay is the guy who built my house and this was the generator he had used. Ellene called Clay and we went off to inspect the generator. It was fine. So I picked it for for Michelle and Clay and Dan carried it to the boat.

A tall skinny guy with horrible teeth rode by on a bike. “Hey, Jim!” “Flaco, can you watch my dogs for a while?” Well, he doesn't speak English and I, well, you know, can't speak Spanish but the concept was conveyed. I gave him $40 to be apportioned between dog food and services rendered. Thirty dollars worth of dog food will last them a month. Flaco makes about $10 a day. This is a good deal for each of us.

Back to get boat, laden with two big adults on the bow and a heavy generator in on the foredeck. The boat plowed through the chop, bow low. We stopped at my house to get more clothes and other necessities and then headed back to De La Luna in Loma Partida. We headed due south slowly through rough water. I learned several short cuts from Humberto, the man knows every clump of mangrove in this archipelago. It was a wet rough ride, but I was feeling mostly human.

When we finally got to De La Luna the girls were bathing in the ocean. Interesting, I shower when I get out to get off the salt water. Repeated shouts from the house where I found that the Bocas Emergency Network had been prepared to start an all boats search for me when we finally got to Bocas. The doctor thought based on the condition described when we left that I would probably go into shock before we ever made it. It takes a lot to kill a bull.

Dinner of otoy again. More juice. An evening of various card games with four cute young women, a couple of young guys and Karl. So much laughter for hours with nobody drinking or getting high. This is so much better than Bocas Town.

We went to bed around nine. I got some sleep, not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment