Monday, November 28, 2011

Off to De La Luna


Karl needed a change of pace and I was supposed to pick a generator at four o'clock and take it to De La Luna in Loma Partida, a beautiful island on the south end of the Bocas del Toro archipelago. Michelle Welty Moore, the owner and a good friend asked I would pick up a volunteer, Rain, and transport her from Bocas, thereby saving her $60 to $120 for a water taxi fare. Yeah, it's a bit of a haul out there.

I pulled up to Casa Verde at the appointed hour and tried to contact the owner of the generator but he wasn't answering his phone.We took off on on what I thought at the time must be one of the most indirect routes ever. We were met at the dock by Sam, Dan and Lizzie, some of the volunteers currently working at the place.

Due to the fact that my dog Hayu had nearly killed Michelle's monkey on my previous trip I was asked to keep him on the dock. We headed up to the house with my other dog, Jessica who was born at the place. Very soon Jessica was beset upon by Topo, the monkey and Michelle picked up the protesting monkey, being bitten in the process and proceeded to put it in a cage normally used for rehabilitation of animals although Topo is the most serious candidate for rehabilitation of any pet I've ever had the misfortune of encountering. While Hayu sulked on the dock, Topo raged in his cage.

Dinner followed by a rowdy evening of conversation mostly about our respective travel adventures.

The monkey is still in its cage.  

No comments:

Post a Comment