Friday, March 4, 2011

Back to Santa Fe

Woke up, had breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast. They never did bring me any cutlery. I used toast to shovel eggs onto to toast.

Talked with Ludwick about his web site, what he needed to make it usable. Agreed to meet him in Santiago on Monday to meet with his web developer.

Stopped by Playa Reina, saw a small waterfront lot of Mike's and met with Nathan, an American expat who has lived his whole life in Panama, was born in the Canal Zone. He flies to Louisiana and Texas to serve as Chief Engineer on ships that never leave port the only one other person on the boat being the captain. We chatted for a couple of hours with this affable man and then returned to Santa Fe.

On the way back we stopped at Carlos' house. Carlos was the original real estate agent into town. He had heavily invested in property around Santa Fe. Last time I was here, one year and 13 countries ago, I was going to go into a venture with him, but he broke so many promises to meet that I abandoned all hope of him ever being a reliable person. I entrusted him with some photographic equipment and some image stabilized binoculars, more stuff than I cared to shlep around Colombia and told him I would be back to claim it. Carlos wasn't home. His beautiful wife peeked through the curtains, so that it was me and greeted me. She didn't know where my stuff was but gave me her cell phone number and Carlos'.

Mike showed me seven of his properties around Santa Fe including one of a couple hectare with long river frontage.

Came back to Tierra Libre. Playing games, met a couple of new people.

Three Japanese girls living in various places around Panama came to town. They were planning on hiking to Rio Luis. Their footwear was sandals and sneakers. I showed them pictures of my trek ??? and told them that they need to buy some rubber boots. Then advised them to look up Timotea.

I met Moriss is looking to buy a place in Santa Fe. He was a school administrator in the UK and found it necessary to teach teachers how to teach. Now he flies around the world and does the same thing. On the 25th he is flying to Japan for a three month stint. Needing to brush up on his Japanese he goes to Santiago and exchanges an hour of teaching Spanish for an hour of learning Japanese.

Arturo is a native Panamanian into a lot of projects. He was telling a tell of how he was a fight manager and one of his fighters in Santiago became number one contender as a middle weight. Then he talked about going to Calovebora I said I would go. He gave me his phone number but said he never answers his phone. “Leave a message, I'll call you back.” Why doesn't he answer his phone? Apparently he receives a huge number of phone calls asking him to pull strings for people. Being the ex-governor of Veraguas, the only province in the world to stretch from one ocean to another, he has a lot of pull. Arturo is back in the training game and has a fight on April 1.

Janet and her husband John showed up. I grew up in a town of one square mile on the outskirts of Detroit. John a couple of years older than I grew up in the same city.

No comments:

Post a Comment