Thursday, June 3, 2010

Strolling around Arequipa

Today I strolled through town center, and saw the beginnings of a sand art contest, then I went to the Santa Catalina Monastery. I followed this with a return to the ceviceria at which I had lunch yesterday and had an obscene amount of ceviche and fried various stuff from the sea. I couldn't even touch the rice I was so full. I'm spoiled, I'm beginning to think that $8 for a meal is a lot of money.

On my return trip I went through town square again, the art work was interesting, but hard to view as they were something like 6 meters on a side constructed on the ground and had to be viewed from the sidewalk. A church service started with beautiful hymns in front of a gorgeous church in what must be the prettiest town square in South America.

I came home paid my tab for my room and breakfast for three days, 84 soles, less than $30. I love this hotel, the location, the staff, the security, the water. I'll be back Monday night. I'm off to Colca Canyon for trekking, bird watching (almost certain to see Andean Condor), sight seeing, 50 meter waterfall, 1,200 meter cliffs.

Time for bed. I have to get up at 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment