Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Squall


A couple walked to the beach east of Red Frog and had their backpacks rifled.  The husband chased the culprit into the jungle and hadn't returned three hours later.  I went off to round up some Indians to conduct a search without success.  Then I went to Old Town on Bastimentos to recruit the the police, but they wouldn't go on account of the weather.  So, off I went in the dark to Colon to recruit a party.

While crossing from Bastimentos through the channel a blow came out of nowhere.  The winds kicked up to sixty miles an hour.  A water spout rose to what I was told was a thousand feet in the air, but I don't know how that can be judged, although the event was televised live via weather satellites.  Roofs were blown off of buildings in town.  Boats sank.

I was just trying to survive.  My first thought was I should put on a life jacket, but I couldn't let go of the wheel without considerable risk of the boat being flipped. 

It really sucks when you can't see much past the bow through the torrents or the waves that tower over your head so you just point into the biggest thing coming at you and crash to the sea without any idea where you are because you can't see shit and you know that you are within a quarter mile of water with coral that lies but a foot beneath calm seas. 

The engine at full throttle spent most of its time driving the boat uphill over the ten to twelve foot swells.  West, head west.   Damn have I missed the whole island?  I should have been there a long time ago.  Just keep  heading into the waves.  Thank god I have a full tank of gas.  I could burn it all out just trying to keep afloat.  Finally I spotted a radio tower and made it into a bay where I took refuge until the storm subsided.

That was the longest two miles I've spent at sea in many a year.

I dropped off a guy at Aqua Lounge.  Did I want to hang around?  No, I can't stand this music.  I was just about to depart when the water taxis started arriving in droves carrying twenty young women apiece.   The nightly prowl was on.  Nope, I need a quiet night.  I went home.

Not every day is ground hog day.  

I've got the house listed for sale and a prospective buyer will be checking it out tomorrow.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment