Friday, August 24, 2012

Getting Wired


Hacked my way to the far side of this island.  Just a little exercise.  Nice path too.  But it ends in muck on the far side at low tide, shallow water over muck at high tide.   It's a path to nowhere, but there are some interesting things to see on the path.  This is where I take all the girls to see the rare frogs.  Usually I only have to travel 30 feet so this is wretched excess.  But it's me, what do you expect?  Simon is coming tomorrow to mow the lawn with a machete.  I think I will go with him to get about 150 pineapple tops to plant.   I need more fruit trees too.

Strange thing, for the last three days I have had buzzards in all the trees.  Never saw but one or two at a time soaring.  Now I have dozens of them in each of four different trees.

Went to town. So my power cables are shot and need to be replaced? Hmmm. I took a knife to the insulation, peeled it back two inches. Ok, all I have to do is cut off the cable and put on new terminals.

No 00 terminals at Rukel, Chow Kai, Richards, Surte Bocas. That's it. I have no more choices. Every size but what I need. I took a 000 terminal and placed it on the wire, mashed living shit out of it and decided to solder it. I dispatched a guy to the hardware store. There was a 60 watt soldering iron at Chow Kai for $6.99 and a 40 watt soldering iron at Surte Bocas for $1.67. That's what he picked.

I had to laugh. No way that thing could ever put out heat as fast as this thick copper cable could dissapate it. Fortunately somebody overheard me and reached into his backpack and pulled out a propane torch and some solder. Ok, good to go.

Oh man there is a lot of water in the bilge that won't go to the back of the boat. I have to cut an access panel and put a bilge amidships. Oh and I need new hinges too. Yaaah! Yup better order another prop.

Went home. No hot water. WTF? Replaced the batteries in the hot water heater that ignite the flame. Nada. Down to the dock. Swap out another new tank for the new tank I just installed. Fixed. Now to piss away some more money to keep the boat running.

Well, I have a couple of lovelies visiting from Spain.  That should be a nice diversion.  We are going sailing Saturday on a friend's boat.   

Whatever, the chicken is done, the balsamic reduction is done.  Time for dinner.  Luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment