Thursday, March 15, 2012

Rainy Day Activities

I flushed my toilet and looked down to see that the drain pipe had disconnected underneath my house.  Upon inspection it had been glued together with some non PVC cement.   Bit of a mess down there.  Now I have to get the crap off he pipe (literal and figurative) and glue this thing back together properly.  It had been maintained by the most respected composting toilet service provider in town.  Hell, its not that hard to apply solvent and glue, what was put on this thing?

The refrigerator flame is too large spreading over the bottom of the heat exchanger.  Will cleaning the flue provide a better chimney action?   The jet is a hole drilled in a piece of ruby and cannot be resized.  I hate propane refrigerators.

After a brief morning sprinkle I headed off to town and hung out at Casa Verde.  Thursday's there are great as the restaurant and bar are closed so the local sailors are generally absent.  A new sweetie hit town and we chatted for a bit another recruit on my never ending "show hotties the best of Bocas" mission.

I located the hydraulic bleed hole on a friends trim for his outboard. Loosing the screw resulted in air bleeding out and the engine dropping to optimal operating tilt. Now he can cruise to his finca at 15 knots rather than 7. This will save some gas and as it is raining all the time help keep him out of the weather.

A live aboard cruiser left town and left a local with hundreds of dollars of hard to obtain cheeses, fine meats, italian sausage, summer sausage. Kyle won the beach lottery.

I met up with a girl I had been corresponding with, a volunteer from workaway.org.  Very sweet and knowledgable with a degree in Ethnobotany.  Natalie is a yoga instructor, massage therapist a big fan of organic sustainable living a great conversationalist and a delightful eyeful. Natalie was going to stay with me but had found a ten year old farm on Bastimentos growing a large number of crops that are not native here.   So she will live in a shack without electricity on the island referred to by the locals as "Jurassic Park."  We will be hanging out quite a bit though, it seems.

Brandy, my former room mate showed up and the three of us agreed to visit some of my friends on Saturday, go to Los Secretos for St. Patricks day and then back to town for the chocolate taste off. People grow cocoa here and make their own chocolate.

Just when Natalie had to leave after four hours I was invited to a going away party.  A guy from Alaska cooked up a dozen pizzas, made some salsa and fed everybody in the place.  The food was great.  I waited for a break in the rain and made my way home on seas illuminated with little more than diffused reflections of light off the cloud from town miles away.

I was greeted at home by three emails from various "customer service" people who apparently don't read the emails and give stock responses that don't address the issues.   I think one must fail an intelligence test to work in customer service.

No comments:

Post a Comment