Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dock

I have been receiving about five phone calls a day from Eladio, who wants to know when I will finish paying for the dock that he was to install in Aguacate.   I finally had a break in the weather yesterday and headed out there with my good friend Walter Kawano.

The dock was forty feet shorter than was quoted.  It was longer than he anticipated.  The specifications for the dock were that it was to go from dry land to forty feet past the mangroves.   After he installed all his posts, it was about forty feet short of the mangroves.  He had just estimated the distance and then gave a firm quote.

The boards had not been trimmed to the ends nor nailed to the beams and a gap of one foot to preclude termites from walking from dry land had not been provided.   Eladio suggested I could pay them and they would finish the work.   Right!  I can't even get them to finish the work while they wait for payment.  They are 45 days late on a ten day project.

We walked up to the end of the dock and climbed a small rise, about twelve feet to be greeted by the land he had cleared and a stunning view of the mountains and the bay and mountains.  It is not well captured in  the photos.  Walter reiterated the terms of the agreeement, which Eladio had signed. Eladio looked a bit dazed and his companions chided him on making a quote with no information.   I thought he head measured the distance.

In the end I will probably pay for the extra wood for several reasons.  Had it been quoted, I would have paid, these guys are poor and if I fail to pay they will feel wronged and the wood is sure to be stolen anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment