Friday, December 30, 2011

An Eco-Resort from Scratch

Just notes, but I'll never have a chance to actually write up.


It took me two years before I bought a house in Bocas.  I've fallen in love with Loma Partida.  A friend of mine told me there was a lot available at a very good price.  Hell, it's worth 10 times the asking price, but the seller is desperate and needs the money in a week. "Walter, as soon as you come back from David, can you go with me to check out this lot?"  First day back we headed out.  Last night I met a "De La Luna" volunteer on a run into town.

"Hey, Sam, want to crash at my place with Maggie and catch a ride to Michelle's tomorrow?  I'm delivering a dock construction water pump anyway.  So they went back to the hostel, grabbed their bags and I dragged them home. :  Sam, 24 and Maggie 23 hit it off with my son Mark and his friend Danielle.

At 4:30 I woke up.  Not unusually early for me.   Ahh shit, guests asleep in the living room.  I sat on the deck with my Kindle Fire.

7:30 Headed out with pump, Sam, Maggie, Mark, Danielle and Walter.

Dropped off Sam, Maggie and Pump.  Went to pick up seller.  Off to the land.

The kids could not imagine walking through 150 feet of muck to see the land.  They stayed on the boat nestled in the mangroves and fed the chitra (sand flies).

Walked through 150 feet of mangroves, up to the knees in muck.  A dock is in order here.  Up a hill, what a view, over the top of the mangroves, we trod left several hundred meters hacking our way through the jungle.  More ocean views. Spectacular mountain views.   Up the hill, down into a valley up another hill.  Deep jungle.  Are we higher than the first hill, down to the end. The land was staked with wood.  A fence here.  I swapped my sandals for the seller's size 8 rubber boots.  My size 12 feet managed to get in, but it was not comfy.

Drop off kids at Michelle's while we chase down more people and make my own documentation on land ownership. Danielle and Mark met the monkey. Danielle thinks he is sweet and wishes she could take it home. She has no idea.

Neighbors, men in canoes.  Houses.  Chasing down illiterate Indians in their shacks and dugouts to have them sign a document they would never understand.

Into town.   Write up purchase agreement.  Walter read it to the seller, he can't read. I gave seller $100 just because.  Off to notary.   Of course the guy is not there.  Asked seller to stay overnight, we'll notarize in the morning.


6:00 This morning. What the fuck? Why are my water tanks empty? Where is the water going? Yesterday I needed to replace the hot water heater. Hot water is a luxury, at ambient temperature one can shower in it. Water is not. I have to pick up a new refrigerator today. Nothing like seas with a refrigerator on the deck of the boat. Water's usually calm in the morning, but I can't pick up a refrigerator by myself. No dolly's, pick up the refrigerator and place on boat. Then up 100 steps to the house and carry the one that is waiting on a part back down to the dock.

Forget getting volunteers, I'll get a boatload of Indians out from Loma Partida on a 42' dugout canoe. They can clear all the land in a day at my house. No time for dicking around.

No comments:

Post a Comment