Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve - Part 1

I woke up, got out of bed actually as I didn't sleep all night.  Ok, what was going in with that bilge pump?  I couldn't make coffee as the propane is blocked.   Out on the deck.  Trash knocked over, cushions missing, one cushion torn up.  The puppy was just finishing chewing the power cord off the fan.   Mud everywhere.  

Ok, let's see that volt ohm meter.  I took apart the seals and rusty water poured out.  Total loss.  Well, I have another one coming.  I hope my son is keeping my tools in plastic bags.   Speaking of which, I got a message at 8:30, they were just about to board the Caribe Shuttle after I'd sent a long detailed message on how to get to Bocas from Puerto Viejo by bus, clearing customs and immigration in two countries, walking a long wooden bridge over crocodile infested waters, catching a van, catching a water taxi and then catching a Taxi.  

Down to the boat.   A lead had gotten disconnected to the float switch for the bilge pump.  This should be easy.   Nope the wire strippers had rusted to the point of being worthless.   10 minutes later I had spliced two frigging wires.  I hooked it up, threw the switch.  Nothing.  I checked the fuse, it was ok.  No volt ohm meter.   Finally as I stood there the pump kicked on and smoke started billowing out.  I grabbed the pliers and cut the hot wire.   The other connection, the one I had not fixed had been seriously strained and had a bad connection.  Ok, fix that two and then secure the wires.  I should not have hired a professional to do the job.

Picked up more cushions on the way back up.  I give up.  I'll just put them in storage.   Thought I'd make a run to return a gas can.  I had borrowed Stephen's as mine had been floating in water and I didn't want to risk my engine over $25 worth of gas.  As I had predicted, I had pulled the boat up so far that I couldn't get it out at low tide.   I waited an hour and headed out.

A guy a know gave me a lead on six acres of ocean front property in the jungle overlooking the mountains for $3,000.  That's what I paid in legal fees to buy this house and they are both right of possession.   This time I won't be using an attorney, I've got copies of all the documents, I can draft up duplicates.   Jesus attornies are overpaid.

So I wait, my son Mark and his friend Danielle should be pulling up to Bocas in an hour and a half.   This girl is going to have the time of her life and stories to tell for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment