Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Minor Progress

I finally managed to complete what should be a trivial task, replacing a couple of switches for the living room.   What the hell is this?  18 Gauge wire on a 15 amp circuit?  I guess I'll add fire insurance to the list of things to do.

My electrical supplies from David came in; I'll have to open the bag to see if all the parts are what I ordered and need.

A couple of the ornamentals I planted, when was that, Sunday? are sprouting new buds.

Stopping by some neighbors to invite them over for dinner I was giving a gourd tree planting.  It looked like nothing more than a three foot long dowel with three dried leaves on it.  I was instructed to just push it into the ground.   Somehow I have my doubts this is going to be a success.

On Monday I made a trip to Mail Boxes, Etc. to inquire as to the status of my telescope, not that I will have much time for bird watching.   Friends have made four trips to MBE to inquire as to the status and never met with any answer.   I was asked the value of the item and was told it would be in Bocas on Wednesday or Thursday.   We shall see.

A Halloween Party?   How am I supposed to make a costume?  I have something like three pairs of pants and four shirts to my name.

On Monday I went to pay the Internet bill.  They told me the former owner of the house had closed the account.  I had been warned about how difficult it is to open an account. One has to bring in utility bills of course I have none, or get a signed letter from the corregedor, who functions much like a sheriff and get him to testify that I have a house, that I provide all my own utilities, etc.   It was but a five minute process to get the account entered in my name.   I came home to find the connection unusable most of the time.  I was told at the office yesterday that a technician knew where I live and would be there at 10 today to check on the orientation of the antennae.   I've covered that one before, it points directly at the antennae in Old Town, on Bastimentos through a large tree.   I have a clear shot to a communications tower across the way at Red Frog, I wonder what carriers use that?  Then a new dish, service application... nothing is easy.

I sought somebody to make me a desk suitable for work on my patio.  A woman told me who makes them, showed me hers, then asked if I wanted to buy it.  We agreed on a price and that I would pick it up today and then she said she had decided not to sell it.   That will just have to get moved down on the list.

Today

Ok, let's see if I can get the tires mounted on the dock, I have the tires and the rope.  Install a switch in my bedroom to get the lights working.  Shuffle some boats around to make sure they don't sink if my bilges fail for one of many reasons.    Hack some more in the jungle, man, that's hard work, warranting a full entry.   Shit, I was supposed to get back to a developer on some questions on one of the web sites I'm developing, but I can't do the research as my internet is so bad.  I'll just check off the refrigerator brush, it's never coming in, I'll stick with the home made one.  Such a small list for a day, but nothing is easy.

Will somebody in David bring back the bilge pump hose?  Three hardware stores and a marine store, all selling bilge pumps, none carry the hoses.  This is urgent and important, I can't put this off, the rains are coming.

Oh, here's my precision screwdriver set.  A girl in town asked if I could repair her MacBook, she had broken off a plug in the audio jack, the thing has to be taken apart.  I don't charge for these services, that only invites more of the same.   Sure, I have nothing else to do.  Hah!  Next time I'm in town, no, I won't make a house call to a third island and trek across the island to find you.  If you want some free service you have to get off your cute ass and meet me somewhere that it is semi-convenient for me.  Ok, in the backpack.

Let's see if I can get one gutter cleaned out.  What's that?  Damn dog, you just chewed up my work glove.  The dogs aren't allowed in any more, the dogs, that's another todo list and some history.  The sun is breaking, it looks like there is a good chance that today will have some good sun.  I'd rather be snorkeling.   Instead, I'll have quick breakfast, don some filthy clothes and spend a couple of hours hacking in the jungle while the girls sleep and I wait for the Internet service technician.

No comments:

Post a Comment