Thursday, September 29, 2011

Herpers

While attempting to supervise the installation of a security system at one of my most frequent haunts I was approached by Worth a local. Intrigued by the fact that a friend of mine mentioned the fact that I had seen a crocodile a couple of nights ago he came over to talk to me about it. Turns out he is quite a herper himself and a former snake breeder. I joined him and Erwin,who much to my delight revealed that he is also a herper. Erwin has introduced three new species of frogs to science. We agreed we all had to go on a snake hunting expedition in the near future. A couple of the expats have expressed doubts that I actually saw a croc, but some locals have seen them on rare occasions. I can tell the difference between a croc, an alligator (there are none here) and a caiman (there are plenty) but after a few minutes Worth was telling me that he knew where lots of crocs around here and stated that he once saw one near Saigon, a neighborhood just north of town on Isla Colon.

We spent a while discussing the large number of reptiles each of us has owned and made non-committal but enthusiastic plans to conduct some deep jungle snake hunting. Erwin expressed a far greater eagerness to capture a couple of bushmasters. I've seen but one of these snakes, in Bolivia, and I don't might saying that a twelve foot viper is better viewed on the far side of piece of plate glass.

We shall see where this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment