Monday, December 20, 2010

On my way to London

My friends at Casa Verde informed my that my room was reserved for the night. I had intended to take a minibus to David and a chicken bus from David to Boquette to visit some friends, but a few things got in the way. I popped next door, Walter whisked me to the airport where I purchased a ticket to Panama City and went home to pack.

I was dismayed to find that my Machu Pichu shirt and a very well worn guide shirt never made it back from the laundry. I should have checked at the time. Looking through my pile of stuff, all in ditty bags, I pulled out the hammock, the jungle survival kit and the machete among others. Nothing I could really use in London. The aforementioned goods were stuffed into a big boat bag and given to Walter for safekeeping. Now I have goods in Sante Fe, David and Bocas.

My pack is eerily light. I returned to the airport at 3:45 the designated time. Why we need to be there an hour before the flight is a bit of a mystery. This little dual prop plan can accommodate thirty passengers. After a couple of minutes we landed in Changinola, stayed for a couple of minutes and flew onto Panama City, landing at Albrook airport, a small airport inside town.

My taxi driver took two Argentines to Texas and proceeded with me to Luna's Castle in Casco Viejo. Upon arriving I gave him twelve quarters. He insisted that the fare was $5. I insisted that he "eat me". I have done this trip scores of times. It's always $2.50.

Luna's Castle was out of rooms. I told them I would sleep in the theater a room which doubles as a dorm. My third level bunk was at least 10 feet off the floor. My hips and shoulder dug into board beneath the thin mattress if I didn't lie flat on my back. When I awoke people were scattered everywhere. Not a sound, not a breath or a snore.

I will try to rest today. It will be a sleepless night. You ask people to wake you up and they don't taxi drivers who promise to come don't show. Then for a long haul to the airport, a flight to Miama a long layover and a flight to Heathrow which is havoc over the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment