Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Zopilote

Friday, November 19, 2010


As I was transcribing my notes from my discussion with the old Indian a couple approached the kitchen and palapa which serves as a gathering place for people staying here. They related the fact that they had seen a kid kill a boa constrictor with a rock the other day and that this morning they found a scorpion in their bed. A bit later as I walked by reception there was a bit of a fuss as one of the volunteers here was turning over rocks, attempting to locate the coral snake the couple had just seen. I tried to tell them how fortunate they were as I had never encountered a coral snake in all my years of snake hunting. Erin was not overjoyed by their encounters. TODO elapid fingers, toes,,

Later in the evening people sat around and smoked massive amounts of pot and sat in stoned silence. TODO As I headed off to bed, Sanand, the husband saw me and came running out of his cabin. Apparently they were concerned about a large tarantula that had taken up residence in their cabin. I asked him to get me a cigarette and I would take care of the problem. Several minutes later I returned and attempted to replay the manner in which I had observed an Indian in Bolivia passivate and catch a tarantula. I took a big hit and bent over to blow on the big spider my face six inches from the big spider. As soon as the smoke hit it the spider jumped. I jumped back and loudly emitted the most profane of obsceneties. Erin screamed. Time to use traditional techniques. We located a large plastic bowl and I covered the spider and coaxed it over the lip of the plastic lid of a recycling bucket. I walked down the path a couple of hundred yards and dropped it in the jungle next to the trail.

Saturday November 20


For my final adventure in Ometepe I decided to Kayak the Istiam River. I walked through the nearby town of Santa Cruz, hooked a right and walked for another 10 minutes. I found a place that rented Kayaks but there was no river access. I grabbed a bus but it let me off in the town of Santa Cruz; it did not continue to my intended destination which was midway between Santa Cruz and Merida so I started the one hour walk. I have no particular aversion to walking, but I was burning daylight. Ten minutes into my walk a van drove by, I flagged it down and for $2 they took me to my destination which was doubly fortunate as there were no signs indicating that this road led to the kayak rental place.

Within a couple of minutes I had secured a kayak. With no paperwork or deposit I was set to go. I emptied the contents of my pockets into my boat bag and headed out across the lake in search of the river; I had declined the opportunity to be accompanied by a guide. After I rounded the first corner the vegetation betrayed the location of the river which was sure to be on one end or the other of the marsh grasses. I set a course for the far side and half an hour later entered the mouth of the river. The poster described the location as having, among other things, “infidad de aves”, an infinite number of birds; it wasn't far from wrong.

I alternated paddling with drifting. After building up as much speed as I could muster I coasted over to various locations where there were interesting birds to observe. Even without paddling this disturbed many of them but by staying completely silent and motionless the birds would return or those that had stayed but froze themselves resumed their activities, hunting for fish in various ways and singing. Occasionally I had to traverse large extents of lilies, duck weed and other vegetation. I stopped near some monkeys who decided to come over and investigate although I refused to allow them to position themselves directly overhead as they are known to express their discontent by urinating or defecating on intruders.

Deep in the canopy under trees that were formerly on the banks that were now in the water of the rain swollen river I failed to observe that the sky was darkening. When I pulled into open water I decided to head back. I proceeded downstream and found my self in an impenetrable morass of water plants. Ok, where did I come in? I returned back up stream and found another branch with the same result. How many branches of the delta would be blocked? I stopped, looked at the two volcanoes to determine which way was west and set another course. After spying the lake I turned around and lingered for a bit and watched an egret hunt.

It was pizza night and the sun was setting so I paddled back to the kayak rental hostel setting a direct course, no meandering near the shore on this pass. In getting out of the kayak I almost collapsed. My legs had been straight in front of me for five hours and they buckled. A few minutes of walking around and I was fine. The sunset was about to begin, I decided I would rather miss dinner than the sunset so I stayed and read for a while while watching the sun. Three kids played near the shore and jumped off the top of a boat into the water while they sky palette was in constant flux, reflecting off the calm waters. TODO colors

After it got dark I headed back. Ometepe is very safe, unlike very many places in Central America, walking the rural roads alone at night is not a life threatening proposition. Five minutes into my walk a bus passed by and I got a ride back to Santa Cruz. Fifteen minutes later I met my friends at El Zopilote for another evening of the usual.

Sunday, November 21


While attempting to copy yesterday's pictures on to my external hard drive I encountered failure after failure. Windows would just hang, explorer would crash. I couldn't navigate the drive. Damn thing is failing or has failed. I rebooted into linux, mounted the drive and a five hundred gig drive that was filled to 97% capacity with music. After deleting about 70 gb of music from bands I had never heard of I started to copy off that which I could. Viewing the error log I was appalled to see how many bad sectors were on the drive. So I sit here and write boring stuff while I wait for the copy to complete. Sony, why, oh why did you give me one type two USB ports and two type ones? Slowly, ever so slowly the files are being copied off. Combine the slowness of USB type one with hundreds of retries on a failing drive and hours into this I have but 33 GB copied over.

I made a cup of coffee in the fashion. A pot of water was put on to boil, the gas turned off and very finely ground coffee was stirred into the water. A mesh bag of the fineness of pantyhose was lowered through a hole in the upper crossbar of a wooden frame designed for this purpose. A plastic cup was placed beneath the net and the coffee strained through it.

Later in the evening the crew watched “White Cat, Black Cat” from a DVD in a notebook computer. I lied down in a crib and read a book. When it was time to retire, I noticed my wallet lieing on the crib. All my pockets should have zippers and everything I own should be cabled to me.

Monday, November 22


“What time does the eleven o'clock bus come?”
“Around 11:30”

“What time does the one o'clock ferry leave?”
“Around 1:30 because the bus will be late.”

Hmm. Two hour bus ride to cover something that a mini van can cover in forty minutes. I have things to do. We'll see what happens.

I packed up my stuff. The clothes I set out to dry didn't. My shirt, strewn over a stump had a couple of worms on it and was covered with ants. I shook out the shirt, beating it against my cabin and placed it and the funky socks in my laundry bag. The rest of the goods I had brought were placed in my backpack and I headed down to the kitchen to make breakfast.

Most of the crew were leaving or planning to leave. Jessica had her usual level of commitment which was vacillating between some sort of action or lieing in a hammock reading arcane literature. Most of the rest were going to Grenada, a market town. I decided to head to the beach, San Juan del Sur, on the Southern Pacific. For a couple of hours I frustrated myself trying to recover pictures from this year. I had accumulated over seventy gig of pictures and my hard drive was failing fast. I booted my notebook under linux and ran an rsync operation in verbose mode.

Around eleven I headed down the hill and encountered Lee hobbling down with the aid of a makeshift walking stick. She had previously had a bad encounter with a bus, snagging her backpack in the door as the bus moved on. Elizabeth was carrying Lee's backpack. The bus showed within minutes of 11:30 . We traveled for thirty five minutes and disembarked at the transfer point with a dozen other tourists heading for Moyagulpa, crossed the road to join another half dozen or so that had reached the transfer point, presumably from the opposite direction. I stood in the aisle with eight other people for about twenty minutes until a seat freed up. We arrived in Mayagulpa at 1:10 and I wasted five minutes trying to assist Lee with her pack. She headed down to the ferry a walk of less than 100 meters. I asked the man at the ferry to wait while I ran back to Hospidaje Central to grab my boat back. No luck. I sauntered up the hill with my backpack and daypack, which was, as usual, crammed with electronics and photography gear.

The old Indian was behind the restaurant counter; I told him I needed my bag and I had to run. He was very disappointed that I wasn't going to sit around for weeks documenting his tales. Burdened by yet another thirty pounds I headed back down the hill. The ferry was gone. Ahhh well. I turned around and headed to my favorite restaurant. I had a huge order of ceviche, a fish the size of a serving platter and a separate plate of cucumbers, tomatoes and rice. The sauce, served separately was a mayonaise base with onions and jalepenos. No wonder those girls the other night said it was the best fish they had ever had. The fish, served whole, was lightly fried with flaky white flesh and large bones. It was a hell of a meal. The bill came to 200 cordoba, around $19 USD.

As the time for the three o'clock launcha neared it started to rain. I have wet bags, boat bags, ditty bags. I am pretty much ready for any unforeseen expedition on water in boats of dubious merit. Accommodations for the rain were made and my rain cover for the backpack was put in place. I walked the 100 yards down to the dock and was told there was no three o'clock launcha and that I would have to wait for the four o'clock ferry so I returned to the restaurant.

Nearing four I returned to the dock, the next wave of tourists were flooding out of the boat. I approached the registrar who was filling in the names, ages and nationalities of people who walked past him, all locals. I, of course, had to enter the information into the passenger manifest myself.

This time I took a seat in the lower salon. After freeing up some space in my windows partition I copied files from my camera storage and edited my pictures of the previous three days and headed astern in the vehicle area, encountering a Spaniard. We chatted for a bit, his girlfriend, from Miami joined us. They related their stories. Their exploration of the island was in the dual cab Toyota Luxman truck next to which we were standing. As we docked the Spaniard asked me if I wanted a ride to Rivas. Hell yeah! Two other Nicas asked if he was going to Managua and if they could hitch a ride; after receiving an affirmative response they hopped into the bed of the truck. The girl's sister had been living in Nicaragua for six years and now called herself a Nica. As we pulled into Rivas a woman recognized the truck and went into excited animation. What a sight. Shake it, baby, shake it. She got in the back seat next to me and asked me where I was going. I wanted to say “wherever you go, I will follow” but I recognized that I was ten years too late for that action. Within a block she told me that this is where I could catch my bus, or a taxi, “Don't pay more than $15”. Thanking all, I exited, my pulse elevated from the most delightful woman I had seen in five hours.

I stood at the bus stop for less than five minutes, a car drove by, “San Juan del Sur?” I flagged him, he turned around, I asked him the price... $15, “Bien”, and we headed out. My chosen hotel was fully subscribed and told the driver, “Necissito otro hotel” I took the room in which I am currently writing this. Ostensibly they had WIFI but there were but a couple of hotspots, about the size of a chair. I tried to connect in the balcony and banged the living shit out of my head on a beam while traversing it. The room is $15, I proffered a 500 cordoba note, the matron didn't have the 180 change. Nobody has change north of Costa Rica. I'll find another place tomorrow, I don't like hotels, I like hostels. I want to mingle with other people. I'll give up TV and air conditioning for companionship.

No comments:

Post a Comment