Friday, November 12, 2010

Head 'em up.. Move 'em out.

Packing was arduous. I am in a tiny room. Usually I have another bed to keep my stuff on. I had to take an inventory of all my stuff. I headed down to Reef Gliders to settle my account. They took my picture for my Advanced Diver Card. I gave them my son's address in Indiana. I have none. Paid my tab at the scooter rental and now I am trying to figure out my bus route.

It appears I have to take a ferry from Roatan to Ceiba at 6:00 in the morning and then sit around the terminal from 7:30 until 2:00. From there we make stops at Tela, Aeropuerto San Pedro Sula, San Pedro Sula, Siguatepeque and finally arrive at Tegucicalpa, where I will have to figure out how to get to Rivas Nicargua.

The bus companies site is http://www.hedmanalas.com/index.html, which everyone says is the best. To order tickets on line, you send an email to info@hedmanalas.com which bounces. I don't know what I am going to do if the bus is sold out. Teguicicalpa is not my kind of place apparently what one does when one gets there is head out to some near by cities and shop for souvenirs.

This is going to be a long haul.

I walked back to Reef Runners to get my temporary Advanced Card and asked a guy who works there how long the bus ride was going to be. He told me the airline was running a special it was 3,369 Limpare round trip. That was a hell of a deal, but apparently not available online. I tried to go online to see their flight schedules but their website was down This website is temporarily unavailable, please try again later.

Four hours after getting my bounced email message I got this.

We have Bus Service from La Ceiba to Tegucigalpa at 5:15 am, 10:00 am, 2:20
pm (with 8 hours of duration)
- Service Executive $ 25.00 round trip $ 50.00
- Service Plus: $ 30.00 round trip $60.00

Executive Service and Plus Service:
The difference is in that the chairs are more comfortable, Pullman seats,
(sofa) the snacks are better. TV, Restrooms.

let me know what type service do you want to travel?

The Following requirements to buy your ticket on line and I will send you
the confirmation number:

- date and hour of travel
- full names every passenger (name, middle name, surnames)
- passport numbers
- birth dates
- nationality
- number of credit or debit card to make a charge
- Expiration date of the card
- Type service

The Schedules are the same every day.

We hope that you travel with us.


Right. A one and a half hour ferry ride a wait of an hour and a half and an eight hour bus ride. And you want me to email my id and credit card information.

By now it was after five, the dive shop closed at six and Jennifer was busy with other customers. She hadn't filled out the information yet. Ok, please give it to Madam Wet Spot and
I'll pick it up from her when I get back from the airport.

Every day, walking down the street, "Want a taxi?" Now I wanted one so of course I couldn't find one. One the far end of town about one click I found three guys lean up against a taxi, shooting the bull. "How much for a round trip to the airport?" "Twenty-five" "Twenty." He looked at me wondering if I was going to walk, but accepted the rate.

A half hour later we pulled in. There was a crossing bar, he drove under it, I thought it was going to come through the window. A metal scraping sound. "Antenna." Just as I feared, there
was a row of stations, all unoccupied. I didn't see Central American Air. At the far end an
indescribably hot flight attendant with incredible flecked brilliant hazel eyes sat on a bench. "Pardon me where is Central American?" "Como?" Oh, we're back to Spanish again. English/Spanish, Dollars/Limpare, Liters/Gallons. "Aero Centro Americano?" Which is not its name, it's name is in English. "Primero estacion." Huh, there was a little booth, looked like something you would run a vending operation from at a grade school fund raiser on the other side of the airport and there were two guys in the booth.

I walked over, one guy was diddling with flashlights the other just looking off into space. From above the awful cacophony of construction, banging, hammering, metal against metal. They both seemed impervious. "Habla Ingles?" "Yes, I do." without the trace of an accent. How much
is a ticket to Tegucicalpa?" "1943 Limpare." "But round trip is..." and he finished "3369 Limpare, 177 dollars. But we don't fly tomorrow, it is charted." Ok, your web site is down, you are operating out of booth that wouldn't have got a passing grade in seventh grade workshop and you have chartered a regularly scheduled flight. "Sosa air has two flight tomorrow, one at 6:40 and one at 11:40." He never looked anything up, but I guess with only 8 flights a day and six competitors it's not that hard to remember.

So, I got in the cab and drove back. The driver wanted to pick me up in the morning. I told him to be here at 5:15. "Out of my brain on the 5:15". It seemed appropriate. I started Entwhistling it. I'll stop now. Hopefully I can buy and fly. Then a cab and a long bus ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment