Monday, November 15, 2010

Saving a culture - Help me out here reddit.

I have long said, "If it's not on google it doesn't exist." I was wrong.

The Lno Indians of Ometepe, Guatemala have their own language, glyphic writing system, and religion. There are but 22 adults left. I am in daily contact with the 80 year old Harvard educated "voice of the people." They are looking for a way to raise one million dollars to buy a 622 acre of land on which the people would relocate. They do not wish to own the land, they don't believe in land ownership, they wish to be "guardians of the land." They would invite hundreds of people of any race or nationality that wish to learn their language and culture to preserve it before it disappears. Living for free in paradise would just not suck.

I am welcome to any serious ideas. Please don't make this a joke thread.

Thank you and wish them luck.

1 comment: