Saturday, September 8, 2012

Boating the Police Around

My friend Michelle,  had her boat stolen from her resort in Loma Partida on Saturday.  She reported the theft but the police took no action.   She was advised that Jesus, the corregidor (Justice of the Peace) from Bastimentos was an effective law enforcement official.   Unfortunately there was no way for Jesus to get to Loma Partida, so I offered to take him out there.

I coffeed up and read my email.  Gary Moore posted that he would contribute $50 in gas.  I drove across the bay to Gary's boat.  I also picked up a petition on a request for improved police action to respond to a serious increase in the amount and violent nature of crime in Bocas to be delivered to Loma Partida.

Next stop?  The fire station to pick up some cops.  Jesus, the corregidor of Bastimentos was accompanied by a cop with an M16 and a Beretta 9 millimeter side arm an interogator.  I stopped off at a hardware store to pick up another gas tank as I had one stolen off my boat a couple of days earlier.  I also picked up ten feet of chain and a padlock.  These thieves are opportunistic, they don't travel with bolt cutters.

Off to the gas dock, waiting behind a string of water taxis, preparing for a busy weekend day.   One gets some interesting looks from the locals while traveling with a cop with an M16.  The water was calm, the skies were clear and the boat was laden.  Southwest to shark hole, southeast to Isla Popa.  Back to the cut, through the channel, east along the south shore of Loma Partida.

We finally arrived.  An Indian gave a statement that he had heard a guy at the Cantina the night the boat was stolen asking about Michelle, where she slept and if she had a security guard.   The Indian boarded the boat with us and directed me.   He told me to east.  Whoa! There is much coral out there.  He directed me with hand signals, following a map that exists only in his mind through narrow channels.  North, east, south, west.  We arrived at a dock and ascended a flight of concrete steps that were reminiscent of Mayan temples.  The rise was minimally eighteen inches.   Jesus scribbled on a receipt and we returned to De la Luna where the news was conveyed that Jesus had a name and knew where the guy worked and lived and he made a quick phone call to the chief of police.

We waited for a promised lunch that evidently was not forthcoming while we were harassed by a Capuchin monkey.  We were all hungry and made a hasty departure.  I stopped off at a local store.  No candy bars.  I bought several cans of sardines and we ate them on crackers and headed back to town.

We enjoyed cheeseburgers and some brews.  I invited lovely Natalie to join us.  The guy was to be off work at four and would be arrested upon his return.  I received a text message from him shortly after four and he told me the man was in custody.  Within hours he confessed, named his two cohorts and said that the boat was on the way to Santa Catalina on the Caribbean coast of Veraguas and that it would be transferred to Colon.

Natalie left to return to the US with tears in her eyes.  "Take care girl, come back soon."  "I'll get back as soon as I can."

I was chatting with Kamron as a panga sped by in the dark.  A short while later the sound of something not good happening.  A woman swam to shore.  "Jim, there has been a boat accident, boater in the water!"  It took me but a few minutes to arrive at the scene.  A few minutes later I helped a big guy on the boat.  The panga, unlit had run right over the back of an inflatable dinghy.

The police were on the shore, lights flashing, but, still they have no boat.  Kamron held onto the panga, the panga operator held onto the dinghy and I dragged it all to the landing near the ferry dock.   Carlos, the cop who had been on my boat earlier in the day.  I told him I wasn't involved and knew nothing, if he needed to talk with me I would be back at Casa Verde.



No comments:

Post a Comment