Sunday, September 2, 2012

Bat Cave - Natalie and Anna

The rain subsided and I headed into town for a day on the water with some friends.  Natalie and Anna had seen little of Bocas outside of Bocas Town.

First stop was the school in Bahia Honda.  I was checking on the state of the water catchment systems for Joe Bass.  Three tanks.  Two on their sides underneath a building,  one with several quarter inch holes poked in it.  The third was located within a foot of the downspout that would have captured water if the tank or the downspout were properly located.

Next stop, the bat cave.  I stopped at some Indian's house to see if I could get these people paddled up the river.  The Indian wanted to go in my boat.  Well, I don't need a guide, but I am growing weary of the dead trees that block the river.  The river was swollen and muddy from the rains.  Ok, we'll take my boat again, even though last time I swore I'd never take my boat up that river again.  I called Juan, who runs the property over which one must pass on the way to the cave.  The fee for crossing the land and a guide in the cave is $4.  No answer.

As we entered the river my four guests exclamed how cool this was.   There is a paucity of wildlife on the river.  Occassionally a bird can be spotted.  Once I saw a small caiman.  Getting up the river was easy due to the high water levels. On the trail we met Juan.  How he knew we were there is unknowable but he greeted us and sent his wife off to get head lamps.


We entered the cave, walked through shallow water as bats flew by and finally ended up wading in cool chest high water just before the waterfall.  We hung out there for a bit, jumped into the pool getting the mandatory Facebook pictures.  When we emerged from the cave, Natalie said, "That was the coolest thing I've done in Central America."  Glad you enjoyed yourselves.

Off to Clydes.  He wasn't home.  He was sure to be at Los Secretos.   We ascended.  Jack and Clyde were there.  Don and Amy were behind the bar.   One round and we headed out to Bastimentos.   A quick walk through town, a little time sitting on the point and back to town.

Ok, chica's let's do that again sometime.  I have a lot more to show you.  That met an enthusiastic response.

No comments:

Post a Comment