Monday, June 11, 2012

Sunk



Thunder. Lightning. Torrents. Fuck, the boat was completely filled with water. Up to the gunnels. The stern below the water line. What's the problem? Shit a disconnected discharge hose. A broken wire. 8' x 20' x 2.5. Let's see, a mental calculation 8 times 20 that's 160 times 2 that's 320 cubic feet oh wait factor in the half foot and now I'm at 400 cubic feet and water weighs what? Shit, I don't know, I think about 60 pounds a cubic foot. 24,000 pounds. Nope, I am not going to manage this by myself. What? God damn it. Shit. Fuck me in the ass with a stick. The cellphone was dead. I sent a message on Facebook to a local. Can you make a call for me? Sure. Thanks, half an hour later four people showed up and dragged the boat to near land and bailed it. $15 Back on the water. I was no more than two or three miles from home before the engine gave up the ghost. No response on the radio. My paddle was gone. Damn it! No recourse but to jump in the water swim and pull the boat. Two miles? Three? What the hell, a man has to do what a man has to do. I made it most of the way before encountering two Indians in massive dugout. They pulled it the rest of the way then reluctantly brought me back to a remote spot on Isla Carenero. They wouldn't bring me to my intended destination, they couldn't navigate through the shoals. Christ, I can do that in any amount of light at any time of night under any conditions. They wouldn't take my directions and then dumped me half a mile away in the rain. Walk through the jungle.  Huge crabs scurried everywhere. Christ, how could anybody walk home here? Paths submersed by the immensity of the previous night's output. Improvised bridges missing planks. Darkness. Traversing shallows, crossing creeks while carrying my backpack filled with electronics that would be immediately destroyed with a stumble. What a life. Hours of immense laughter and music videos. It was worth the effort.

“George, You gotta room?”
“No”.
Oh shit. No way to get home now.
“I have a hammock. Up the path, up the stairs, you'll find it.”
“I'll take it. Thanks, bud.”
“How much are your rooms?”
:”For most they are not available at any price. Jim, I couldn't charge you. I told Jessie you would be crashing here. Just trying not to get you shot.”
“Thanks. I've had enough trouble lately.”

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jim I sank a boat once and the big problems come about a week later when everything electrical freezes up from rust. Starters, solenoids, everything that was under water. Oh and water in the crankcase seals are meant to keep oil in not water out. Greg Randazzo

    ReplyDelete