Saturday, May 5, 2012

Pack!

BoomBoomBoomBoom.   I entered Andrea's room and woke him up at five.  "Pack everything, we need to go now! No time for a shower, go, go."   He was confused I told him we didn't need to leave until 7:30.  

Out the door, down the stairs, onto the boat.  BoomBoomBoom.  "Where are we going?"  "To the marina."  We went as fast as my boat could go.  I pulled up to a very large blue metal boat walked aboard and found no one there but a cat.   God Damn it!  Back to town.   Grab a taxi.    Necesito hospital urgencia".  I was weighed.  My blood pressure was taken.  I was asked to describe my ailment.  "Andrea, how do you say 'atrial fibrillation'?"  I am not a hypochondriac, quite the opposite, I defer medical treatment, "I'll heal."  I am not afraid of doctors, I've just been cut, cracked so many ribs, pinched nerves, my body has suffered many indignities which only time and healing could address.  Ok, I've spent my fair share of time in emergency rooms and intensive care.   But the last time I felt like this I nearly died, my blood pressure dropped unmeasurably low without detection by the emergency room staff despite being hooked up to an EKG and a blood pressure monitor.   Yup, I got paddled.  Feeling my whole body go cold as vision fades to black is not something I wanted to experience soon.  To hell with this hospital, it bites.  Could I make it to Changuinola?  Last time I was in fibrillation for three hours before my heart attack.  Off the the water taxi, over to Almirante a half hour ride.  By the time I got there I felt normal, bought breakfast and a pair of sandals.  Nothing to be done now.  I will make sure I see a cardiologist while I am in Panama City.


Back to Bocas.  "Jim are you going to the party on Red Frog Beach?"  "What party?"  "THE PARTY!"  A full moon event?  I haven't been to one, but this is right across from my house an easy commute home.  Brandy asked if should could catch a ride. Sure.


Then the postings.   This was an internationally organized event, not a few locals on a beach without sanitary facilities in the middle of the sea turtle nesting season.  People posted in forums.  People called ANAM, the
Autoridad Nacional del Ambiente, sort of like the EPA, Parks and Wildlife and the Department of the Interior in one.   They have no permit, they are selling beer without a license, etc. etc.   In the end little was done, the event was not a big deal and the beach was not left in a disaster.  We shall see if they disband today.

I asked a guy I know if he would watch my house.   A licensed boat captain and fisherman who spends his whole time in town.  In four months he hasn't ever left Isla Colon except for the $1 taxi fare away to Carenero, so close it could be readily swum were it not for some of the worst, most inconsiderate, inattentive boaters in the western hemisphere.  I told him I would show him the house.  A couple of cuties showed up.  I invited them along for the ride.  Turns out they were stuck on the dock and were waiting for the five o'clock boat to Palmar, right across from my house.   They came aboard, we introduced ourselves and headed off to my house then over to Bastimentos and I took them on the trail to the open Caribbean side.   We hung out for a bit and then headed out.  Nope, you have to go out here, now left, toward that house, now right for 200 meters then right again.   Lot's of shallow water.   Doug decided he would need a month to learn the waters before he would take anybody else's boat.   Hmmm, I guess I can leave the boat in really shallow water.  But what about the dogs?    Just leave them with 20 pounds of food and five gallons of water?

No comments:

Post a Comment