Thursday, May 3, 2012

Beauty and the Future

Through a slight haze I espy water so calm I can see the name of a stilled boat reflected therefrom. Parrots, doves and myriad birds flutter, flit, fly and perch. Ahhh... Bocas at its finest, viewed from my deck.

The parrots have returned, I have seen little of them for months.  On this tranquil morning I am blessed by a silent company of green parrots.  Three or four species of hummingbirds restlessly visit the red flowers that adorn the shrubs, flying up to the deck periodically to survey my activities. An Ngobe Indian paddles by silently, headed toward the watery cul-de-sac of Bahia Honda.  Were that I had my good camera, the view does not merit the insult of the result of my pocket camera.

Timon has been doing a wonderful job on the yard.  I can clearly see the dock and boat after eliminating some bushy trees that had been planted beside my long stairway.  The grass and weeds have been cut and the ornamentals trimmed.  A massive tree was felled yesterday for the sake of my house.  Towering from the ground down the hill and rising far higher than my house it presented a threat to life and property in its state.  Though with a full crown, lush and verdant, termites and ants dwelled and feasted upon the sickly giant.

A couple of water taxis cruise by, one silently and the the other with considerable announcement as Timon makes his way in his dugout canoe from his home on Isla Bastimentos, in view, across the bay.  Today logs are to be placed on the shore to provide a dry haven for my boat, to be left for an indefinite period while I explore southeast Asia.

On Sunday I hope to replace some pier pilings with salvaged cuttings.  Soon the wire, long stored in the storage building over the water, will be run to raise the voltage of the outlets there in order to allow the charging of boat batteries and run A.C. pumps on boats to be docked there.  


I am soon off to Panama City to apply for a replacement passport.  Gabrielle, a guest in April will be returning to Bocas in a couple of weeks with her mother.  I am expecting a trekker to make his way to Almirante today.  I haven't heard from him in three days.  He is hacking his way through the jungles of the provinces of Chiriqui and Bocas del Toro to get here.

Once I have my passport in hand, hopefully without having to make another trip to Panama City I will choose a destination in Southeast Asia: Philippines, Thailand, Viet Nam, Cambodia?  I don't know I have to start somewhere.

That's the morning news from paradise.  Time for another pot of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment