Thursday, May 10, 2012

Long way to Cerro Punta


My host and hostess had a new car.  Well, it was new to them, having had it but a day.  "Want to go to Cerro Punta via the new road?"   My host, ever the dubious sort checked the forums and decided I wasn't completely full of shit.  My assertion that I had driven the road myself despite the fact that all the locals said there was no such road.  But, if it's on the Internet it must be true.  We put the half wolf dog in the back of the 4x4 and headed south out of Boquete.  Six or seven inquiries later, all advising us to drive all the way to David and back up we found the road.   Somewhere in my notes is the name of the gas station on the corner.  Not exactly a traveler's guide is this?   We got to Volcan after much more time than we expected and headed out.  Twenty two clicks to Cerro Punta?  I was in the back seat.   Forty four k later we arrived at Rio Serreno, a destination sure not favored by any non resident but the drive was pleasant enough.

Back to Volcan, up to Cerro Punte.  We stopped for lunch, I ordered the Ropa Vieja (old clothes) a Cuban pot roast.  Nope.   Hmmm, how about the seafood soup?  None?  Three or four items later I had the pork loins.   Onto Guadalupe.   We rushed through the town missing all the m.pots.  What is the rush?  Back to Boquete.  By this time it was dinnertime.  Off to Mike's their local eating establishment.  The pulled pork sandwich came highly recommended.  I ordered the pork vindaloo.  A short while later a small bowl of pork heavily seasoned with cinnamon was served.   Nothing close to the painfully hot Indian dish I ordered.  I couldn't choke it down.  Ok, I'll go with the pulled pork.  None?  Next sandwhich. None?  Well, hell. I ordered two hot dogs and got one.  They were out of hot dogs.  I was told tales of a trio terrorizing Boquette, poisoning dogs, entering houses, stealing jewelry, laptops and cameras, pistol whipping the men and raping the women.  Why is nothing in the press?  Apparently the victims know this trio and are very afraid of them.  There are some entries on a local forum available only to registered guests. 

Another quiet little mountain town gone to hell, this time in Panama.  


No comments:

Post a Comment