Friday, October 15, 2010

Antigua

Monday October,11

I am not going to drag this out. An eight hour ride in a van with a French woman, a Belgian woman, two American women and a Dutch guy. The Dutch guy most certainly has never had to work at getting laid. Being 6'2" blonde, blue eyed, strapped and pleasant, he has women throwing themselves at him.

We pulled into Antigua at four in the afternoon. I walked a block asked a girl girl where she was staying and if she liked it and she directed me to a hostel a block or so away. Nobody else was in the place. It was quiet, clean with a great location. Private dorm with private bath was Q60/day about $7.50 USD. How can one go wrong? The WIFI is the fastest I have used in two months and stays up.



I went out to dinner and had an overpriced shitty Cobb salad, I'll have to writing a blasting article on TripAdvisor and then stopped at a pharmacy on the way back to buy an iced lemon. When I got back I realized that I had taken a book I was reading from the restaurant and did not make it home. I knew I would never find the pharmacy again there are far too many and once again I was paying no attention.

As Antigua is a good sized town, I looked up contacts in Couchsurfing.org and set up a meet for the next day and proceeded to use the wonderful download speed to do some computer updates and get some files I had been unable to get for a week. While that was going on I caught up with friends and family, started a bunch of music torrents and went to read a different book.

Tuesday October,12

My complimentary breakfast was worth everything I paid for it. The coffee machine was broken and the food was 1 fried egg and 2 pieces of bread. With my usual rigor of a highly planned day I took off in a random direction with my compact camera strapped to my belt. First stop was Convento de Santa Clara Stopped by a church.

I met my CouchSurfing contact at a cafe off of the main square. Very interesting guy, a clinical psychologist and marriage counselor, born in France, raised in Africa left his practice in California and has started a world journey with his wife and two kids. I am sure we will be in touch, comparing notes. He is blogging. We walked across town and he showed me where the gringos live, a very pleasant gated community on the edge of town.

Wednesday, October 13

Walked up the hill to Aldea El Halto.



Thursday, October 14

Sat around. Bought a ticket to lake Atitlan, flirted with the girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment