Friday, August 14, 2009

Sleeping in a hammock

Friday 8/14/09

I woke up at about 4:30 and my father was missing, the calls of the howler monkeys were absurdly loud. Apparently there are several stimuli that set them off: rain, people, and dawn. It was turning into dawn, and it was about to rain, so it had set them all off. The sky looked really cloudy, so I figured it wasn’t worth trying to go catch the sunrise, so I went upstairs to the hotel and fell asleep for several more hours. I woke up some time later and Mark was still feeling bad, so my dad and I went into town to try to find a bite to eat. We got coffee and omelets, and we asked for salt and pepper to put on our eggs. She brought us the salt and pepper, but also a big jar full of onions, jalapenos, and a bunch of broth with all sorts of who-knows-what dissolved in the acids. Whatever was in it was delicious, and we put it all over our eggs. Shortly after eating that, my father informed me that there were two people taking their pig for a walk across the beach. The pig was cooperating until it came time to cross the street, at which point it started to scream and back up, not wanting to cross this strange ground. They had to push and shove it, and once it got across it, it was already. My dad asked the waitress were the butcher was, turns out he was right down the alley. “This little piggy goes to market, this little piggy doesn’t go home” Turns out they were taking it to the meat market, perhaps the pig knew what was up, poor thing. After that my dad decided he was hungry for some jamon, or ham if you speak English, so we ordered beans and rice and ham. The beans and rice were good, but the ham was not, this is why I usually just stick to chicken when I’m down here. Unable to finish my meal we got up and left and headed back to Manzanillo to check out of our hotel and begin the long haul to La Fortuna. We took a detour on the way back though, and went to go check out the house my dad had rented. We went up the hill and wandered around the backyard, we saw a bunch of birds, admired all the trees, and we even saw a green and black poison arrow dart frog hopping around on the porch, simply awesome. We got back to the hotel, got Mark, got all our stuff, and left for La Fortuna. 7 hours later we arrived here, where we retired to our beds, but I sit here writing this right now. Actually I forgot to mention, we stopped off at the restaurant we ate at as we were leaving the town with the best tipico, and once again the food was amazing. It was a shame my brother was unable to eat due to his stomach hurting him.

No comments:

Post a Comment