Monday, August 3, 2009

Car Swap

We drove from La Fortuna back to Liberia and swapped out the Caravan for a Toyota. The roads are very narrow here and there is no shoulder. When an 18 wheeler or a bus comes around a turn 2 feet into your lane, there is nowhere to go. Besides it was a gas hog. At 550 Colones per Liter and 5.5 kilometers per Liter I was burning about $60/day in gas and running a high carbon foot print.

I needed better internet connectivity than could be had from the Internet Cafe. I found a place that allows me unlimited number of connections with some pretty good throughput for $10 / day, with my own coffee maker and a place to store my bags. It also has a kitchenette, living room, bedroom with 2 queen sized beds, good air, nice location right on the edge of town, maid service and laundry service.

The feeder hose to the kitchen sink broke this morning during my morning coffee. Triage! Two notebook computers and 2 cell phones were on the floor connected to chargers. 4 duffel bags, 2 suit cases, a computer case were thrown on the beds. Rudy, the landlady’s boyfriend quickly shut off the water but we were an inch deep in water through the whole apartment. The hose had snapped off just where it joined the 1/2″ FIP fitting. Rudy went off and bought a similar replacement line and it kept leaking. I told him he had the wrong type of supply line but he had a hard time believing me because he bought the same kind that had been on there. As the supply was 1/2″ PVC MIP the zinc FIP with washer was never going to do the job. We walked down to the ferreteria (hardware store not a ferret restaurant) and I walked behind the counter and found a nylon supply line. I told him this would work if he hasn’t already damaged the thread on the PVC by over tightening. He had. So for now there is a bucket there, I told him to go off and get a hacksaw, a shutoff valve a 1/2 PVC to 1/2 MIP adaptor, some solvent and glue and we would have it fixed in half an hour.

It is now 10:30 I’ve been dicking with this for about 3 hours, it is time to go out and book a white water rafting trip for tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment