Monday, July 27, 2009

Driving Cross Country

Saturday

I had a late start as I had to wait for the eyeglass center to call to tell me that they had my eyeglasses. The ones they absolutely promised would be delivered by Friday. So Saturday I had to go the center and pick them up. That left me about 5 hours behind schedule.

I drove from Washington, Michigan to Lincoln, Illinois; by 8:00 I was done. Had dinner and went to the hotel to surf the web a bit to find that my newly configured laptop would no longer start up X (the linux Graphical User Interface). The first hour and a half were pretty bad as every road in Michigan is in a state of non construction. Orange barrels placed everywhere, exits are blocked, no detour directions and nobody actually working on the roads.

Sunday

Drove to Plano, TX and stayed with my good buddy John King, Kimmy was in Chicago so we each got in a few more words than usual. Best thing I saw along the way was “Bob’s Good Junk”. If you see the pictures, you will have to wonder what passes as bad junk. Diner quality salt shakers or just rocks that you would find on the side of the road were offered for $.25.

Monday

Connected to a shared server and had Sterling look at my X configuration. After all this it was a modded /etc/profile.d that was defective. Interferred with init.d boot processes starting. I am ready to hit the road again to go to Austin, arrive just as Karl get’s off work around 2:30. If you want to track me on Google Latitude drop me a line at my gmail account.

Had lunch with Israel Denis at Blue Mesa and then stopped by the LaFleurs on the way to Austin. Pulled in to Austin at 6:00. I had forgotten how pretty Austin is. The temperature is about 102 degrees; it finally feels like summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment