Monday, November 4, 2013

Packing

The sound of my neighbor's generator disturbs the predawn calm.  If you can't make it through a single night you really should get some more batteries.

Packing has been more than a little haphazard.  I have been emptying drawers and inspecting shelves and finding things long misplaced.  

My clothing selection is pretty atrocious, but I shall buy a few items while in San Diego.  My footwear is reduced to a pair of sandals, a pair of boots and some water shoes I picked up last week in Costa Rica just before rappelling down some waterfalls at Lands in Love.  That was a good adventure and one I should recount as well as the trip to Del Ray with my son for people watching.  Our experience was contrary to this tale.  None of the women looked like they were working their way through college, they looked "rode hard and put up wet" as we say in Texas. 

Maybe I will, maybe I won't.  My first priority is getting my stuff together.  My biggest concern is getting my good camera back and hopefully repaired.  Another long tale.   It is finally in the shop, but it's November, holiday after holiday in Panama.

What does one pack for a several year trip on the road?  Here's my list:

Electronics
  • Pocket camera with two spare batteries
  • SLR with two lenses and far too many filters and tripod
  • An overly large (17") computer
  • Six external hard drives
  • Android Nexus 7 tablet
  • Android phone with three spare batteries
  • Kindle (Not the fire, they suck)
  • Headphones
 Camping gear
 Other
  • Toiletries
  • Lock picks (I have carried them since 1972)
  • Dive Computer, Fins, snorkel and mask 
  • Precision screwdrivers
  • Binoculars, heavy but hopefully worth it.  May end up buying another pair of image stabilized Canons
Oh yeah, clothes.  It's a pretty meager selection, I have nothing but board shorts and pullover synthetic material T shirts.














I am being deluged with private Facebook messages, people fighting over possessions I have for sale and wishing me goodbye.

I had a dozen waterproof ditty bags, some are probably in the attic and many I have given away.  Ditty bags are awesome and under rated.  One cannot throw a large quantity of electronics into a ninety liter backpack.  Cords get tangled, items get separated and eventually everything works its way to the bottom of the pack where it is most inaccessible and subject to damage.  It's much easier to take inventory and transfer to the waterproof day pack.

What am I going to miss most about Bocas?  My dogs.

Damn this internet sucks.  I keep losing my connection and when I have it and my provider won't answer the phone.  Great.



No comments:

Post a Comment