Saturday, August 10, 2013

Groundskeeping

Ok, I am done with writing every detail everything I do everyday.  This used to function as my diary.  I use evernote for that now.

What am I up to?  Groundskeeping.

My nearest neighbor to the west is in the process of opening up a resort, Bocas Style.  He started, suspended operations and moved back to Canada.

A giant wooden vessel floats in the harbor of the place.  Indians sleep in it.  In the primary house Silvestre lives with his wife.  His brother, who shall go by the name of Phillipe, his assigned name, as his real name is completely beyond the reach of white people.

Phillipe wanted a few days work.  Sure, I'll give you three.  Well, the guy worked his ass off.  He will clean the house or do any field work I ask.  He is unbelievable.  He never stops working.  He has a wife and two kids and no source of income.  All right, let's keep you busy.  My two hectare were cleared of overgrown grass in a couple of days.  I had him cut down some bushes that obstructed views of palm trees that were rapidly growing, planted by my last gardener, who has secured a job as a caretaker at a lovely house across the bay. When he watched my house things didn't go so well.

In any event, for the price of what I spend on cigarettes I can have this guy eagerly improve this place.  After all the usual grounds were cleared I directed him to just continue to the west a couple of hundred yards to the second palm.

I was going to take a girl boating, but I couldn't get hold of her.  I didn't feel like going to that nearly vacant town to find there was nobody to ask.  So, I grabbed a machete and decided to clear a trail along the shoreline.  I've given up on those fancy $200 hiking boots.  They just can't compare to $9 rubber boots.

Fifty yards deep in what was previously a dense collection of vines, saplings and branches I had made a trail to the next hill.  My phone rang.  Down the trail, up a hill, down a hill, up a hundred stairs.
A friend of mine called, he had some items that he had picked up for me in David.  Well, fuck, I knew that, you told me two days ago that you had it and were heading home.  I guess Clyde wants a little company,

I summoned Philipe and we headed over.  Just a few minutes on calm water.  I circled twice in the bay so that he could see me and know who was coming.   With his very bad knees I didn't want him to walk all the way over to investigate who was pulling up at his dock.  It's usually me, with one or two sweet young things, but you never know.

We took a bag full of pineapple pups.  They are new plants that grow out of the roots of the parent plant.  Yes you can grow pineapples from the cutoff tops, but pups were intending to grow.  We took a couple of score, some seeds from breadfruit and some cuttings from flowers. I got my goods and we headed out.

I dropped off Phillipe with our new acquisitions and went off to buy a shovel. I never got my shovel back from the guy I lent it to.  Such is Bocas.  Returning by an alternate route I popped by to see my old friend Kirk.  Last time I saw him I brought over a hot Brazilian girl in hot pants and rubber boots.  This time I was alone.

Nothing, I having for you nor am I asking for anything, just thought I'd drop by.

Then we planted everything.  The End.

Except, the girl just called.  Boating tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment