Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Changing of the Guard

Five and half, six, seven, eight, nine, ten.  WTF?  How late can  you sleep?  Eleven, twelve.  Sajoua and Candice finally showed their faces in the early afternoon.  The sunlight was more than half gone.  I guess our trek was a bit much for them.

Not much time for much, I took them to the bat cave and waited for them.  My lacerated finger didn't need to be soaked in water tainted with guano.  Off to town they bought four pounds of Mahi Mahi.  Back home they made a salsa, cheese bean dip that we enjoyed with chips while waiting for the ceviche to "cook".

Early in the morning I dragged the reluctant from their slumber and we prepped with strong coffee mixed with cocoa powder straight from the farm and coconut milk.  It was sinfully good.  Shortly after six we headed out.  They then faced an eight hour bus ride to San Jose, Costa Rica.

Back to town.  My old standby, Melissa copped out on me and decided to go to Red Frog Beach.  Few tourists, it is the slow season.  An hour later she texted me.  "What is there to do here, but lie around and be lazy?"  Silly girl, you were just there a couple of days ago.  Not much, swim and hang out.  "Ready for another adventure?"  "Sure."

So, I headed out and picked her up at the dock and we headed out back past town and toward the other end of Isla Colon heading to a canal to Changuinola when the engine exploded.  I made a phone call and a friend told me he would come to get me.  About an hour later he called.  He had no idea where we were. I could see him, but he couldn't see me as he was looking directly into the eye of god.

Go west four hundred meters then due South for a mile.   Towed to town.  Guess I'll have to buy a new motor tomorrow and I have guests coming.  Better make this quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment