Sunday, May 26, 2013

Treading Water in a Strong Undertow

Yesterday I hobbled to town in my boat.   The engine was fuel starved.   Many times in the past this was a result of a clogged fuel filter.   I bought a new filter and two spares and put a strap wrench on the boat.   With much effort, I made it home and back to town this morning.   I checked out the fittings.  Everything appears good.  I guess I need a new fuel pump.   How long will this take to get?

My phone was working fine, then in use was discharged to 6% of battery life.   Overnight it fully discharged and refused to turn on or take a charge.  I borrowed a new battery and the phone worked.  Now I am going to try to charge my battery in another phone, but I doubt that the store will let me do that on their display model.   We shall see.  If I can, I hope the battery is dead as the charger is good, the only other thing would be the USB connector or the circuit board.  Never dropped, never wet, shit just breaks.

My camera has been sent to Panama City, along with a tablet and a netbook computer. The camera was working fine, put away and two days later told me that it was unable to format the SD card.  Hopefully it will just be cleaning of the contacts, but that requires disassembly of the camera, hundreds of tiny screws. 

The keyboard on the netbook just started emitting characters when I wasnt typing.   So, its either the keyboard or the USB bus.  

The tablet is probably not worth fixing, somebody stepped on the screen, the microphone is dead and the USB connector is wonky.

I will try to get some starter cables and connect two giant six volt batteries in series and see if I can desulfate and charge them.  This 240 dollar charger has charging, equalization and desulfation modes, but no settings for six or twenty four volt batteries.  

My propane refrigerator at home is beyond redemption, I need to go to Almirante and buy a high efficiency chest refrigerator for the house.   Now that I have converted my generator to propane this shouldnt be too painful except I wont have a freezer unless I buy another unit.   No room in the kitchen for two, so I will have to put it in the bodega behind my house.

There has been a lot of rain lately, far more than necessary to fill the tanks.  They are overflowing.  A few days of clear weather would be welcome.

Oh yeah, a shitty patch job on the bottom of my boat gave out when it was beached last week.  Rolling it over logs to take it out of the water so the boat wouldnt be tossed resulted in the patch being torn away.   It took three people bailing for two hours just to maintain equilibrium ten miles offshore.  I will go into that story another day.   Much to do today. 

Ahh, the simple life.

No comments:

Post a Comment