Friday, May 24, 2013

Bocas, You Wear Me Out

The diesel generator at the farm leaks oil and water.  I picked up the diesel mechanic that inspected the generator for me before I bought it who declared it to be in fine shape.

We arrived at the dock. Well I guess I wont punctuate as this keyboard is set to some language different than English and different from what is printed on keys.

How far is it to the generator? About 300 yards.  Sure lard ass, I will carry your tool box.  I walked back down to pick up 16 gallons of diesel fuel.   Then a bag of parts.  He was sitting there waiting for me.  I installed two fan belts, his job
was to guide the belts over the pulleys, mine was to turn the engine over by hand, turning the flywheel.   I installed a capacitor and fired it up.  128 volts, good.   Into the kitchen, I checked the voltage at the outlet.   121.  I fired up the new high efficiency chest refrigerator I had purchased. Within minutes it was cold.   Got to get one of these for my house, that propane thing wears me out.

The battery is dead.  There is a crank.  He instructed me to crank it.   What the fuck.   Ok I decompressed, pulled out the crank and he released the decompression switch.   Hey, let me get some RPMs before you do that.  I got it going.   I went off to take care of something.  I came back and he was sitting there looking at it leak.  I turned it off, pulled a plate, found a hole where presumably an oil pressure gauge would go, whittled a plug out of a piece of 2 x 4, made a gasket with a utility knife out of a discarded leather belt and put it back together.   Now it was leaking from under the valve cover.  I instructed him to pull the head so I could look at the head gasket.   I went off to take care of something else.  I came back and he was looking at the engine.  He could not apply enough force to remove the valve cover. Jesus, give me a half inch socket wrench with an 18 mm socket.  I took the head off, and peeled off the gasket.  Shot.  Not much to do here.  I put the gasket in the tool box.

Down to look at a golf cart.   Fuel pump shot.  I tried to salvage one from the other cart.  Shot.  I secured a gas tank and gravity fed it.   The starter motor belt slipped.  I loosened the nut, pulled hard on the starter and instructed him to tighten the nut.  Wrong way. WTF?

I fired it up and ran it up the trail.  The accelator stuck.   I mashed hard on the brakes and turned off the ignition, turned it around and drove it back down.  No lubricant.  I sprayed the fittings with carburetor cleaner, better than nothing.

Ok. Now the peddle doesnt stick.   Got my venturi? Put it on while I take a shower.  Ten minutes later I came out all clean and fit for town.  He did a fine job, except the venturi was on backwards and he hooked the low pressure gas line to a water outlet on the regulator.   I took it apart and assembled it properly.   The engine started right up.  Ran for three minutes and quit.   Hah! It was just running on gas in the float bowl of the carburetor. He told me my regulator was defective.  I loosened a lock nut and backed out a screw, pressed the primer button fired it up and tightened down the screw until it ran at a nice even steady rate.  I scrounged up a hose clamp and put it on the high pressure line.

There, undid your shit, did it right and showed you how to do it.  I was missing three black vanadium sockets from the last time he worked for me. I found one in his tool box, a large metal box jumbled with unsorted sockets, screwdrivers and wrenches.

Still missing an 8mm quarter inch socket and a 10mm three eighths socket.  I have had this kit for 15 years and never lost a piece. I let him use it for an hour and three pieces are missing.

How much do I owe you.   You told me the generator was in fine shape, it is not, I converted my generator to propane and showed you how.  I carried  your tools. I took the diesel generator apart while you handed me tools.

Dollars fifty should do it. What a fucking deal.

1 comment: