Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Panama, Panama to Placencia, Belize

These are just my notes, but I'll probably never flesh it out, so, here you go.

Day 1

11:00 I took the Tica ejetivo hoping that it would approach a Peru bus in comfort but found the seats to be narrow with extremely limited leg room. Worse yet there was no air conditioning and the windows wouldn't open. Shortly after the bus departed we were treated? Subjected? to an endless series of American comedies that thankfully were played in English.

14:43 A vile meal of extremely overcooked spaghetti, boiled meat, bread and an unidentifiable substance was served in a styrofoam container its temperature dictated by the residual heat of nearly four hours. The tray on the seat ahead of me sloped down at an angle of thirty degrees as the seat was fully reclined. The tiny plastic tray wouldn't latch into position anyway. I had to place the meal on my lap and attack with the little plastic fork.

18:03 We have reached the Panama/Costa Rica border. We got out, paid our $1 exit tax, got out passports stamped. I bought a few skewers of pork for $1 each.

TODO panama bag inspection DOG. Hand in bag. TODO tool extract.

Bags back on bus.

We walked 200 meters into Costa Rica . At the immigration office a man was attempting to provide entertainment. He wore white plastic eyeglass frames without lenses, banged on an empty half gallon vegetable oil bottle and made noises with his mouth.

TODO We took our bags back out for inspection in Costa Rica. Concrete slabs that looked like beds.

After an hour I gave the girl my bags and my practiced bored look. She guessed I wasn't smuggling anything and waved me on. Wait 45 minutes for the inspectors to show up, TODO describe steel fencing. TODO called by name.

Back on the bus, I used my leatherman to remove the screw in the window lock that prevented me from opening the window. The ride started to suck quite a bit less.

20:50 Passport check.

21:48 Passport check.


Day 2

03:02 We pulled into San Jose transfer station, much confusion, bus not leaving until 5 no it leaves at 3.

Had uncheck and recheck my bags with the same guy.

Exceptionally bad, rubber pizza microwaved 2 h2o 2 snickers 2. Fucked over exchange rate 570 colones to the dollar but when the items came to 1250 wanted 3.
The bathroom door TODO


3:00 Boarded bus. Seat 45 was occupied. I told the guy, but he insisted that the seat was his. Looking forward I saw two adjacent seats unoccupied and decided not to fight it.

10:05 Managua, Nicaragua.

TODO Buddy, chocolate

I took the taxi, TODO hotels. Stayed at the TicaBus hotel went to dinner.

Washed my clothes and hung them up to dry.

19:32 Went out to dinner


Day 3

4:00 I need sleep. Check in on bus

Aug 22 23:54 The one eyed guy behind the counter woke up with a bang when I took his picture.

August 23

4:45 At the head of the line for bus check in .

5:02 I wanted breakfast but there was no time the man just showed up on the bus.
No cambio necessito.

5:07 Eggs scram salty cheese that tastes like sardines and salt with the texture of set cauck. An enormous helping of very salty rice and beans.

5:20 The bus backs up with a rumble bud no engine noise. My kindneys feel as though I am being massage by a massuese with a vibratror. The bus is near empty perhaps 10 people.

7:15 The guy wants 8 dollars and my passport.

8:13 We mill about waiting for the bullshit to finish

8:39 Presumably in Honduras we mill about some more.

9:08 Back on the bus. No luggage checks. Passport handled by bus companuy.

12:50 Last night
Three taxis 7 (change trick) internet 2 ice cream 3 lunch 3

13:03 Sandwich gum and water 4.74 (is this where I got sodomized on the currency exchange?)

13:11 And we are off

15:40 Stop for lunch
2 piece of chicken
Potatoes au gratin
water 90
donut 20

17:37 Pulled in, it is raining

17:54 Purple lightning big modern building

22:59 attempting to get food the 12 b gone the loud family at the hotel

Day 4

7:07 On my way to Puerto Cortez. Downed power poles. Earthquake last night 3.6.

7:29 Air shocks $5000. Suspension. 170 km/hr. 397000 km never touched the engine.
Warranty. Swerving. Braking. Brake fail, have to slow.

Paid the 970 for transport to Puerto Cortez

8:01 Flash struggles to top off the tank, shaking the truck, at least a minute of clicking.

9:06 3 Dollar exit fee from Honduras

Had to trade out 300 limpia for 86 quetzales.

9:42 Passport check 80 quetzales

Breakfast 5 quetzales and 1 dollar

eggs and bread far too hot to eat.

10:18 And we are off to Belize

internet, chat awareness that I was not where I was supposed to be.

1:55 The local who wanted to guide me.

14:18 Local asked where I was from , bamboo story

15:49 5 belize for taxi to water taxi

15:52 10 belize for hokey pokey water taxi.

16:23 At cozey corners.




Came back guy asleep on the floor popped up like he was being shot at when I took his photo.

TODO describe seat recline

TODO money exchanges

TODO managua mall

San Pedro Sula, Hondura

TODO leaving San Jose, breakfast rubber eggs flour based product

TODO Tegucigalpa 10 minute layover

No comments:

Post a Comment