Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Manuel Antonio Park

Hiking boots seemed the order of the day.  Down the hill.  Breakfast at the hostel we had vacated, eggs, rice and beans, pineapple, papaya, bread, mango, banana and a lot of coffee.    The Costa Rica hustle requires no music; taxi drivers solicited rides.  Are you friggin' kidding me?  I know the road ends a few hundred meters from here.

Tourist guides offered us available right now $70 specials for guided tours of the park.  Admission is $10 per person.  I see sloths a few feet away all the time in Bocas, I don't need a guide to let me see one through a spotting scope two hundred feet away, mostly obscured by leaves.   

The trail was a gravel road, closed to most vehicular traffic.  Hundreds of tourists in groups of two to four walked the road.   Every couple of hundred meters a guide would be showing people a clump in a tree several hundred meters distant.  Iguanas were in great abundance.  I seldom encounter them in Bocas as the Indians eat every one they find, consequently they reside almost exclusively in the tree tops.  Here, they walked everywhere on the ground as I have observed in my many travels to Costa Rica over the last twenty years.   A raccoon wandered around near a ranger station unconcerned with human presence.  This was not really much of a wildlife experience so much as a walk in the park.  The jungles near my house offer many more surprises.

Through the park, down to the beach, across a small river, back to another beach, back to the town, bus ride back to town for a little shopping.  We stopped off at the airplane bar and got some really cool pictures, which I can't share right now, including one where the food elevator was a converted missile.

Two sweaty guys returned to the room and showered.  A monkey show began within feet of our balcony, a



dozen white faced capuchins and a few squirrel monkeys.  Back down to town for sunset pictures and dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment