Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Boat - Finca

Ever on the quest for a more fuel efficient boat I took a friend's twenty foot panga for a test run.  I disconnected the fuel line from the built in tank and hooked it up to an external tank so I could accurately measure fuel consumption.  We met at the appointed hour, but it was raining and we sat and chatted while waiting for the weather to clear.  We took off to the finca and met with a neighbor, a resident of an extended family.  We boated over to the entrance to the finca and down through the shallow canal.  Up to the house we were greeted by agitated Africanized Honey Bees, "killer bees".  Here, Ricardo, spray them out.  I gave him $5 for some Arrivo, a popular insecticide.

In order to get this resort operative I need to get the pool in order. The first order of business is to fill it.  As we had drained the few remaining tanks that had not been stolen and the catchment systems were profoundly deficient a new plan of attack was in order to get this place open in a timely manner.  Along the hill adjacent to the property a long run of four in PVC snakes its way toward the school, it is buried and crosses the finca.  Ricardo agreed to fix a section that had been broken by horses and to attach a fitting for a hose which is to be run to the pool.  Although the water pressure is insufficient during the daytime to be useful, when the villagers are asleep significant water, about a thousand gallons a day, can be obtained.  Ok, sounds good. And fix the catchment gutters on that cabin up the hill.  I'll be back Saturday to inspect.

Back to town.  I met with a mechanic that knew of a Lister generator that might be for sale in Almirante.  Nope, the guy doesn't want to sell it.  What now?  He made another phone call.  A guy he knew had a Kuboto.  That's top quality stuff, yeah, I'd like to check it out.   I was given the phone number, left a text message and received a reply a couple of hours later.  I could check it out on Friday.

The boat?  Too small, sorry, Susan.

I meandered to a market and found some trousers that fit at a used clothing store.  That's easier than making a four hour trip to David.  Two pairs for $6.  I dropped them off downstairs at a tailor.  Turn them into cargo shorts by cutting off the bottom of the legs and adding some pockets.  Another $6.  That was easy.

I'd have gone home, but I didn't have enough gas to make a round trip.  The gas dock was closed as it had no electricity.  The electricity is oft out recently, nobody knows why. Ok, I had enough gas for the short hop back to town and ran into Samantha.  We hung out for a bit at one venue and then a second, which was brazenly serving lobster linguini despite the fact that they are out of season.  Yes, it was fresh lobster.  Off to the Southern anchorage to crash on somebody's boat.


No comments:

Post a Comment